6x9 Architectural photography

warren_williams

<p>I have been doing amateur architectural photography with a Shen Hao using a 90mm and the bag bellows. Most of the time I am only using the camera's rise to achieve what I need. I am wondering if there is a 6x9 equivalent that would be lighter and/or smaller that would do the same thing. Briefly I need to mount a 58-65mm lens and get 24-30 mm rise at infinity on either the 6 or 9 dimension. I don't think either a Horseman VH or a Linhof Technika can do this in terms of functional wide angle rise. I know the more expensive 6x9 monorails can but I don't think I'm saving weight. The 23 ebony is a possibility but rather expensive. the 19p or 612p horsemen might be a possibility. I think all the Silvestri's are going to be almost as heavy as my 4x5 set up. Any other ideas? </p>

<p>The problem with the post Peter refers to is that it is out of date. For instance:<br>

"</p>

<ul>

<li><strong>Technikardan 69</strong> Telescoping monorail with an unique mechanical design allow the camera to be collapsed instantly to book-size. Folds the smallest for a monorail. High german quality feeling. Better in the field (excellent portability) than in the studio (particular to operate and not modular). extension: 48-340mm . 2.8kg ($2900)</li>

</ul>

<p>This camera was replaced several years ago by the TK23S</p>

<ul>

<li><strong>Linhof M679</strong>: designed with the digital studio in mind, it and comes out of the box with no means of viewing or using film. Geared swings and tilts, but no shift or rises on the original model (It has been replaced by the <strong>M679cc</strong> which has rear rise and shift, $3300) Integrated ball head (comparable to a Profi III), which makes the weight look more reasonable. 3.8kg.</li>

</ul>

<p>The M679cc was replaced several years ago with the M679cs with front and rear shifts and rise and a geared leveling head.<br>

At the 2008 Photokina Linhof introduced the Techno hybrid 23 view camera made from aluminum and carbon fiber view camera for field work. It uses lenses as short as the 23mm Digaron on a flat board! (the 23 Schneider will require a deep recessed board however). The Techno is just now arriving for sale to dealers.</p>

<p>Smaller, yes. Lighter? I'm not so sure. The ones I crave (besides the Linhof) are the Arca Swiss, and Sinar P3. There is also a Toyo VX23D. Personally, I think the roll film insert is the way to go (at least for me). I have both a 6x7 and 6x9, but I'd sure like to have the Sinar multi-format foll film holder.</p>

<p>"From what I've seen, 6 X 9 cameras that handle modern wide angle lenses with movements tend to be expensive. I'm probably going to switch to 4 X 5 for this very reason."<br>

And 45 cameras that can handle modern extreme wide angle lenses, 23mm, 28mm, 35mm are also expensive. And much larger and heavier if you only need 6x9cm.</p>

<p>just a few remarks from practice...<br>

I would strongly advise against a dedicated wide angle camera - except you're in the position that it is irrelevant how much money you spend. You could be annoyingly limited. Part of my living is photography - architecture and objects. And very often the specific needs also in the field of architecture require normal to long lenses!<br>

I might be a nostalgic and very attached to my camera - but for my needs with often difficult situations my Sinar Norma meets all my requests. I use a wide range of lenses, from the Schneider Super Angulon 47 mm XL up to the Apo Ronar 600 mm. My main format is 6x9 mm.<br>

If I would just carry around the camera with 1-2 wide angles, without the Sinar shutter, lens shade, one magazine, light meter it would indeed be a 'lightweight' solution.</p>

<p>Have you considered a light weight 4x5 that closes down to your short focal length and has a large enough lens board to offset the lens up most of the rise you normally use? It looks like Wista might work. They have a bag bellows for wide angle. Toyo 45a and 45ax close down to 45mm with a recessed lens board. SK Grimes could probably make a custom recessed lens board with rise. Since you mainly do architectural photography a recessed lens board would probably work well. There are probably other cameras with short wide angle capabilities that would work with an off set lens board.<br>

Another possibility is having your 6x9 film holder modified to offset 1/2-3/4 inch to reduce the need for so much rise. I would look to SK Grimes for this too. If you have a camera with a removable back, a custom back with fall might also be possible.</p>

<p>The smaller the format, the more critically precise must be the engineering, the machining, the tolerances.<br>

Wood can not match metal in this respect.<br>

If you are concerned about weight, I would also suggest Arca Swiss Discovery 4x5, and get a good roll film back as suggested above. Sell the Shen Hao thing, because you will become absolutely married to the quality of the Arca Swiss, and you will still have the choice of formats, medium and large.<br>

<strong>If</strong> I were only ever going to work with 6x9 /6x7, I would sell everything and still go for the Technikardan 23 S, in a heartbeat, and get on with it. Beautiful for studio and on the move. Second to none.</p>

<p> </p>