6x7 slide projection

ilkka_nissila

Hi all. I'm thinking about the possibility of projecting 6x7 slides.

B&H lists a Cabin projector which would allow this, it's about

$1500. This sounds pretty expensive.

Is anyone doing this on a regular basis? How are the results? Are

there other projectors worth considering? What kind of mounts do you

use for projection?

Hi, Ilkka! I regularly project medium format slides in all formats for groups in retirement homes here. I use the Linhof Auditorium Projector, 'Ideal Format' Model. It is far superior to the others, including Hasselblad's 6x6. I sandwich the Velvia slides between polycarbonate strips (1/16th") and slide the strips horizontally through the gate between lens and condenser. I've built a track to hold the strips parallel to the lens barrel and can show four or five 6x6 or 6x7 or 6x8 slides in sequence with no darkening of the screen. It's like reading a book, with the images appearing right to left or vice-versa, if you prefer! There is no sound, no mechanism and it is very quick. You can also mix any number of different formats, i.e., 35mm, superslides (40x40), 4.5x6, 6x6, 6x7 or 6x8 by masking around each transparency with aluminum flue tape (3M) or slide masking tape (MUCH more expensive but less robust). You can fill a large screen with several 35mm or medium format slides up to a vertical height of 8cm. The gate on the Linhof is 80x80. I believe an old Leitz Prado or Universal has the same gate/lens barrel assembly but the condensor may not be adequate to reach the corners of the 6x7 or larger transparency. I also have the 35mm slide changer, condenser and lens assembly to project single 35s. The lenses for 35mm are 90mm f/2,5 Colorplan, 100mm f/2,8 Dimaron and 120mm f/2.5 Hektor. I have the Leitz 200mm f/4 Dimar for all the other sizes above 35mm - with matching condensor and 6x7 slide changer too. I had to modify the Linhof to open the gate to 8cm instead of the standard 7 by removing the slide changer tensioning springs but it was easy and quick to do. The slides do not distort from heat because they are held flat by the plastic and there is air directed at the gate from a special duct, unlike all but the Hasselblad projector. You may get lucky and find the Linhof Ideal Format on the internet auctions at an affordable price but once one of the projector dealers get them they mark them at a very high price indeed. Still, it would be about half the price of the Hasselblad which can only handle 6x6s. Good luck!

I don't own the Cabin but a friend of mine does and I've used it quite a few times. In my view the image quality is good and you'd struggle to differentiate between that and the Hasselblad 6x6 on that score. The Projector accepts both glass and card mounts and since I use the latter I know that it is capable of handling both of these without jams or damage.

There's two things I'd mention though. The first is the manual push/pull mechanism which not only means you don't load up a magazine but have to remove/insert a slide every time you show one. Most times this isn't a problem, but if you're presenting it means that you (or someone) has to be at the projector rather than standing by the screen.

The second issue relates. I'm not sure that there's much choice of lenses and you should check how big the projected image is going to be at the sort of throw distance you'll be able to use. It may be a little smaller than you'd expect.

Nevertheless the image quality is decent and frankly I'm not sure that you have many alternatives.

Hello, Ilkka: I have owned the Cabin 6x7 projector for several years and can give you my experience. I have been very satisfied with it, the impact of a medium format projected image is quite dramatic. I have projected slides from a distance of about 5 meters and up to about 213cm high using the standard 150mm lens.

This is a lightweight, very basic machine. It has an on-off switch and you focus it by rotating the lens by hand. There is a height adjustment screw on the botom front of the projector. That's it. The dimensions of the projector are 151mm wide x 416mm deep x 221mm high and it weighs 4.3 kgs.

As supplied, it has a slot in the top into which you insert the [85x85] slide mount and then lift the mount up to change slides. So there will be a white screen between slides. To avoid this in presentations, as David noted, there are optional push-pull mechanisms. The central section of the projector where the "single slide" slot is, lifts up and out of the projector, and the push-pull slide changing mechanism fits into that space. It basically is a flat black piece of steel that slides back and forth horizontally. It has flanges on each end to hold the slide mount. David correctly points out that this means you have to change out a slide each time you show one and then move the slide carrier sideways to show the other.

Be aware that Cabin has offered the slide carrier in four sizes: one for 35mm slides, a film strip carrier, one for 6x6cm slides (in 70x70 mounts), and one for 6x7cm slides (in an 85x85 mount). So be sure to order the corect one. I have used Wess Anti-Newton mounts (which I think are no longer made) and currently GePe 85x85 Anti-Newton mounts for 6x7 format (GePe Article No. 2701). I have had no problems with either.

There also is an optional 200mm f4.5 lens for projection in longer rooms. When you use this lens, you must change the position of the rear condenser. This is easily done and not a problem.

Here are the projector-to-screen distances in meters and the image sizes in cm for the two lenses, from the instructions that came with my projector. You may find this information helpful in judging your needs:

For 150mm lens, projection distance followed by image size:

2m 79x62

3m 126x99

4m 173x136

5m 219x172

10m 433x356

For 200mm lens:

3m 91x72

4m 126x99

5m 161x127

10m 336x264

15m 515x402

As you can see, the 150mm lens really is not recommended for projection distances longer than 10 meters. I would agree with this, I think its 300 watt halogen bulb is at its limit at around that distance. I do not own the 200mm lens, sometimes they show up on the used market. I hope this information is helpful.

Ilkka, I have been using a Pro Cabin 6x7 with a 200mm lens with glass mounts for about 15 years. I have just recently digitized one show and there is no comparison. I used 5 different digital projectors and nothing comes close to a medium format slide projection. Mine is equipped with a sliding drawer (2 slides) and I also installed a dimmer switch to the light source that allows a smooth transition between slides. Works for me. I had bought it used and if my memory srves me right I think I payed 700US in Shutterbug magazine. Hope this helps.

www.guyboily.com

I am not sure, but I belive the Cabin might be nearing an exit from the market. When I was in

Japan this fall, they were selling them for around 350-450 dollars. I wanted one, but simply

could not handle either bringing it with me or shipping at the time. Mamiya USA is known for

their price gouging, if you can find an importer from Hong Kong or elsewhere to handle the

order, you will probably save many hundreds of dollars. As people have said, the Cabin is an

extremely basic projector, just bigger than a normal one. To charge 1500 dollars for what is

basically a big light, fan and a modest 150mm lens is highway robbery.

In 6x7 category you have a choice to buy one of the old GIANT slide projectors (some models with bellows) like:

Beseler model 362 or

Linhof/Leitz 6x7 with sort of Leitz lenses, condensors and film carriers.

The better choice is take one of the present models like

single slide feeded:

Linhof Diafant 6x7,

Liesegang Diafant 6x7,

Mamiya Cabin 6x7

or one of tray (single) feeded:

Gotschmann 6x7

http://www.goetschmann.de/index.htm

Personally I vote for simple, well-made twin slide carriers projector like Mamiya Pro-Cabin 67-Z which I bought used over 10 years ago and I'm very satisfied with. My Cabin is equiped with 150mm lens and 300 W lamp and it gives me beautiful, bright images on Da-Lite screen. Mentioned 85x85 Gepe antinewton slide mounts are perfect also. That projectors are overpriced (new), but you can find used one on eBay around $600-$700 in mint condition.

Ilkka, as Guy said nothing comes close to a MF slide projection. Good Luck !

• 1 month later...

I have an old Golde M/F slide Projector w/a manual slide holder for 6x6 measuring 10cm high x 1.5 cm width, length doesnt really matter in this case.

I am looking for a 6x7 holder that would fit, I saw a advertisement for a Cabin 6x7 slide holder for their projector and wondered if it would fit mine ?

Does anyone have one of these and could you please post the dimensions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-You

Mitch Falk