6d vs mark ii for wedding photography

kimberly_snow

<p>To me (personally) the biggest argument <em>against</em> the 6D is it's use of SD cards. The rest of my equipment runs on CF cards, so parts commonality is an issue. I, for this simple reason, would absolutely go w/ a mk2. Building a cohesive kit is a fundamental aspect of wedding photography.</p>

<p>If you are building a kit from scratch though, and are planning on your backup unit being another 6D (best case) or a 60D, or a rebel, then this issue obviously would not impact you, but you should plan with that in mind.</p>

<p>As far as the merits of the cameras go, the two are pretty similar, with the 6D edging out the 5d2 in regards to DR, Ultra-high ISO noise, and low light AF capability. The 5D2 edges out the 6D with respect to buffer capacity, total resolution, and VF coverage. The 6D also has some additional features you may (or may not) find useful. The ergonomics are also different, so if you have smaller hands, or have been using a 60D or rebels prior, a 6D may feel more comfortable to you. </p>

<p>They are more or less the same cameras. On paper, the 6D has better DR or ISO but I doubt there's decernible differences in real life shooting. The CF/SD card difference is a good point as Marcus pointed out. I would go with the 5d2 as they should be cheaper if you can find stock than the 6D. But both are good choices for wedding photos.</p>

<p>Funny people like CF, I don't like them. Feel they are a thing of the past.</p>

<p>This is my experience using a camera with CF and moving to one that has both. With weddings it's not bad, but I'm sure you take pictures of say your friends birthday party. It is inevitable afterward your friend brings their laptop with the built-in memory slot so they can copy the pictures and then finds out the expensive camera you have uses a CF card and can't use their laptop like every other camera they know. Oh, then they tell you their TV has a camera memory slot let's let everyone watch it (as everyone listening gets excited to see the pics) then you explain it's not compatible, but everyone elses camera is. When it comes to download off your camera, you need to use a reader or cord and if you want to display it on a TV need yet a different cable. I'm not one to usually bring transfer cables and/or TV cables to parties, and hate trying to keep track of them.</p>

<p>Then I got a camera that does both, I haven't touched the CF card since. Now when my friends want copies I pop the SD into their laptops memory slot and away they go. Want it displayed on their TV? Pop out the SD and plug it in (TV's today are beginning to accept SD cards). Sitting on the couch with your laptop & camera with you, but the transfer cord is in the other room? If I'm exhausted I don't bother, but now I can pop the SD card out and into my laptops memory slot and away I go. I have my CF and SD cards mimic each other and haven't yet needed my CF card. There are some situations a CF is better, they can be faster if you get the right one (or slower if not). But it also depends on the camera they have limits. You can see a speed comparison of a D800 at <a href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12451&sort_col=raw&sort_dir=DESC">http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12451&sort_col=raw&sort_dir=DESC</a> where the fastest CF can write 69MB/s while the fastest SD 42MB/s. But do you need to do bursts to the point you fill up your camera's buffer and need to continue shooting at the fastest speed your buffer can write being a wedding photographer? The 5dMkII also has a limit of 45MB/s so a 5DmkII with the fastest CF card, and the 6D with the fastest SD card should be neck & neck but the SD card can be used in so many devices.</p>

<p>Another thing is focus, weddings are dark at times and the 6D can autofocus in much less light than the MarkII it doesn't focus well in low light. Being able to get the picture is a benefit of the 6D but the Mark II is more robust, professional, and likely more reliable camera. In my opinion, I'll go against the curve and personally feel the better ISO performance, low-light autofocus, SD card, and even the wifi puts the 6D ahead. I just wish it had 2 card slots.</p>

Why would a wedding photographer let someone use one memory card before doing a full backup? A CF card allows me

to prevent friends and family from asking for a copy of my photos before editing (and I usually have a technical keep rate

over 90 to 95%, nevertheless I won't share similar or backup images, nor pictures of people in awkward poses, blinking,

etc).

Anyway I would consider the 6D to be a great travel camera.

<p>Exactly! using CF media is an incontrevertible response to drunk guests who slur out "I wanna see some pictures! c'mon let me see, I've got a laptop w/ a card reader thingy with me!" while of course the answer is ALWAYS no, being able to say no <em>without</em> ticking wedding guests is both diplomatic and makes good business sense (plus, having a B&G pissed at you makes for crappy pics). I have personally experienced that three times that I recall, and in each case, I could say no without upsetting or angering a person who was clearly not thinking rationally. </p>

<p>On a side note, yesterday I was able to handle and play with a couple of 6Ds at length. My general impression was that it's minimal external controls and general ergonomcs would make it difficult for me to use as effectively as my 5D2s. Certainly if I owned one, I would learn to use it effectively, but little things like no DOF preview button, and no way to select center AF point only w/ just buttons were 'features' that I found very frustrating. OTOH, if you are using a rebel -> a 60D now, you'll probably be unlikely to feel 'dumbed down'</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you we're purchasing a new camera today, which one would you go with?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Personally, If I was setting myself up for wedding photography, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on just one high end camera with lots of features I don't need. </p>

<p>I would probably buy two or even three more entry level bodies such as the Nikon D3100 or D3200 (or whatever Canon's equivalents are) and spend the bulk of the money getting the right lenses.</p>

<p>But what do I know? I have only photographed weddings with a Mamiya RB67 and a Vivitar 285!</p>

<p>Thanks Peter J for completely misquoting me. Your response, while obviously incorrect in it's quotation, is also a bit rude. While perhaps you are unfamiliar with photo.net's 'furom manners' (and I mean no offense, just hope you will learn to moderate your responses) I might suggest that you read, and attempt to comprehend, both the <em>literal</em> words, and the underlying meaning of photo.net's terms of use. </p>

<p> In an effort to expound your understanding I will make a suggestion, and explain it. Perhaps a better (and more polite) response in <em>this</em> forum would be something akin to <em>"The 6D <strong>has</strong> a DOF preview button, it's been moved to a much more 'subtle' location (vs. earlier EOS models, and the 5D3, and 1Dx), the right (left as the subject would view it) underside of the lens mount. This will change your use of the button dramatically, as those who are used to using their thumbs to activate it will now need to learn to use their pinky or ring finger to activate it in handheld use."</em> An astute reader will note that this is much longer than your reply, however, they may also appreciate that it<em> adds</em> considerably <em>more</em> to a conversation on the subject. A<em> further</em> discourse might include the note: <em>"This, is an evolution of the ergonomics, and <strong>may</strong> be considered an improvement in the position of the button over prior models, since the pinky is freer to act while shooting handheld than the thumb." </em></p>

<p><em>My</em> post, while technically incorrect in the assertion that the DOF button was missing (completely), was absolutely correct in the impact that has on shooting, and usability. Thank you! For agreeing with me! You made my <em>point</em> in a succinct and completely (I'm sure) unintentional manner. Methinks enough said (though I do tend to go on...;) )</p>

<p>So, for the Peter J s out there, the bottom line is that the 6D is an awesomely, cool, great, new camera, it's marginally better in some respects (DR, UH ISO perf., UL light AF perf.), and is marginally worse in others (buffer, VF coverage, etc.) - in most cases a wash - w/ respect to the 5D2. It's ergonomics and controls will <em>possibly</em> kneecap experienced, and professional EOS users, but <em>most likely</em> will just piss them off. In which case we should forgo the 6D completely and simply buy a shiny new 5D3 ;-) </p>

<p>What's that Peter J, not bottom line <em>enough</em>? Okay fine, I'll try harder! lol How about this? </p>

<p>New? yes. Shiny? Very! Better? meh. Better for you? depends on <em>you</em>. <em>Decisively</em> better? decisively no. </p>

<p>In a nutshell I would stick with my original assessment, the camera's weaknesses are <em>not</em> it's capability, it's in how you and it interact (which, <em>obviously</em>, varies with your experience, and aptitude). <br>

- For <strong>me</strong> (<em>not</em> Peter J, or anybody else), the SD card is a <em>dealbreaker</em>, the buffer size is <em>merely</em> unforgiveable (especially in light of the 7Ds FW update doubling it's effective buffer size!), and the the ergonomics/control limitations are a royal PITA. As a professional <em>wedding shooter</em>, the ergonomics are critical, buffer size is a royal PITA (though only 15% or so worse than the 5D2 - the 5D2's weakest point), and SD is <em>normally</em> only annoying but on a <em>bad day</em> becomes <em>so much worse. And we, wedding shooters, <strong>plan</strong> for bad days.</em></p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I own 5D2 and 5D3. 6D is a step up from 5D2 but a toy compared to 5D3. Depending on your needs. For my kind of business and style (take a look at my <a href="http://www.frammenti.eu">italian wedding site</a> if you want) I need versatile, quickness and reliability.</p>

<p>I love SD and 5D3 can use both SD and CF. 6D has only SD but I don't see in this a drawback. If you need you can go to a market and buy one! CF are really more expensive and rare to find around when you need them.</p>

• 1 year later...

<blockquote>

<p>As far as the merits of the cameras go, the two are pretty similar, with the 6D edging out the 5d2 in regards to DR, Ultra-high ISO noise, and low light AF capability. The 5D2 edges out the 6D with respect to buffer capacity, total resolution, and VF coverage. The 6D also has some additional features you may (or may not) find useful. The ergonomics are also different, so if you have smaller hands, or have been using a 60D or rebels prior, a 6D may feel more comfortable to you.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good points Marcus. What will make customers happy, great dynamic range, low noise at high ISO and low light auto focus for sharp shots with out blowing them. Customers pay for good shots. Equipment performance is a plus.</p>

<p>I can't sell a customer View Finder coverage, the customer doesn't care that I only see 97% when I take the shot. As the photographers, as long as we understand that there is still 3% off the edge we are missing, it should be workable. But it could be a big deal for some, I suppose. I would rather see 97% in the viewfinder and pull off better shots, than have to deal with taking out noise in post production. Bottom line, we want to give the customer the best images we can.</p>

<p>Slightly less resolution, it is still decent. I know a lot of pros using Nikon D700's and D3s out there and producing lovely shots. The Canon 1DX has only 18MP but that sure is a great camera. I don't think the 6D's resolution should be a concern. It's capturing good images.</p>

<p>The SD card issue, while I would prefer the 6D had CF too, ehhh, I have SD cards in every other device I own, HD Camcorders, Zoom H4N, smart devices... darn things can go through the wash cycle and dryer and have seemed to not loose any data. I don't recommend you try this with your customers wedding shots.</p>

<p>I am intrigued by the WiFi for transferring images and use of smart devices with the camera. I do know it is supposed to eat up battery power, so keeping that feature turned off, unless you need it, so have extra batteries. I do any way. </p>

<p>I am going with the 5D MK III as primary camera and the 6D as a back up body. I think the 6D is a very capable camera. It's a choice of tools. If you are comfortable with it's performance and capabilities use it. The 5D MKII while still a great camera for wedding photography, it is last generation technology. It isn't any worse than it was 5 years ago. It is just more advanced stuff came out. It's only a choice.</p>

Cheers, Mark