64 bit Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (Win7 64, Vista 64)

<p>http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829<br /> Or go to Microsoft.com/download and search for Microsoft Camera Codec Pack</p>

<table>

<tbody>

<tr>

<td><strong>Version:</strong></td>

<td>0652.0621</td>

<td><strong>Date Published:</strong></td>

<td>7/26/2011</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>Microsoft has released a version of their codec pack that works with Win7 and Vista 64 bit operating systems. Previously if you had a 64 bit OS you could not see any thumbnails for Canon RAW files (this may affect other brands differently but I'm a Canon guy). This lets you see the thumbnails just as any jpeg would display in any folder.</p>

<p>Not all cameras supported. XP 64 bit is not supported.<br /> Make sure you grab the download for the 64 bit OS if you have a 64 bit OS.</p>

<p>I do not know what a codec is. Is it something that will improve performance of image editing on my Windows 7 machine? Use Breezebrowser Pro for initial edits and RAW image conversion. Then Photoshop CS5 for final work on images before saving them.<br>

Will this thing do anything productive to actually help? I ask as so many things I have tried through the years are only duplications of what the basic programs I use already do. If it can speed things up or make them more reliable I'll try it.</p>

<p>Paulie, a codec is a small amount of programming that basically tells your operating system how to convert a given image file into something that can be viewed online. For many people using a 64 bit operating system when viewing a folder of files you wouldn't see thumbnails of the actual images but rather a generic icon, every single image would have the same generic icon. You could imagine trying to find an image in one of your folders yet every single folder showed the exact same icons. If you don't have this problem then this is not for you. This is for the OS (operating system), not for individual programs. Some programs may benefit from it, but most wouldn't work any better or worse. If a given program relies on the OS's viewing system to see the thumbnails then if this is a problem the codec pack may work for it.</p>

<p>I hope I explained it properly.</p>

<p><em>And probably won't be... it's what, ten years old, and two OSes back. ;-)</em></p>

<p>True, but Vista was a complete disaster so it does not count since it couldn't be used for serious work. Windows 7 is a good operating system so XP users now have something that they can upgrade to, but they'd have to trust that it's not another Vista before that happens ...</p>

<p><em>True, but Vista was a complete disaster so it does not count since it couldn't be used for serious work.</em><br>

Doesn't count according to who? Win7 is just Vista 2.0 in my opinion. Most drivers for Vista work in Win7, but XP doesn't. Most "features" that are present in Vista that aren't present in XP are in Win7.<em><br /></em></p>