600mm Lens

Aoresteen

Anthony - a critical question is what do you intend to use it for? If you want to photograph white window frames and carry it in your pocket it is far from ideal. I use mine for landscape and it is fine. F4 is handy for composing and focussing, but I use f11 and f16 for almost everything. I am not even fully happy with it at f8.

I am neither large, strong, young or fit, but don't have any problem carrying it around. It is a very heavy lens though and you have to get used to it. The main problem is carrying it and a sufficiently heavy tripod. I replace the tripod with a rice bag when I am more than 500 yards from the car and carry the lens/body combination in a rucksack. It is actually not as big as a Nikon 600 mm.

I have never seen any sign of the chromatic aberation that is reported, but it is probably not evident in the type work I do. It is very soft wide open and has an irritating habit of slipping out of foucus when pointed upwards. I paid less than $1500 second hand and am not complaining.

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I should explain what I would use the lens for.

I have a couple of Hasselblad 2000 FC/M cameras (focal plane shutter) that I use for landscapes. My longest lens is a pre-set Pentacon 300mm f/4 that I had re-mounted to fit my Hasselblad 2000 FC/M. Sometimes the 300 is just not long enough so I would like a 600mm. The only resonable 600mm that would be fairly easy to re-mount for my Hasselblad is the Pentax 6x7 600mm pre-set. I would definately look for a used copy of the lens!

I shoot 99% black & white. My only concern would be is how would I get a yellow filter on the lens? The 300mm Pentacon takes 95mm and the 95mm Tiffen Yellow 12 cost more than what I paid for the 300mm lens new in East Berlin in 1983!

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks! I knew that the lens took a 77mm rear filter but if the mount is changed to Hasselbplad I assumed that I would loose the rear filter ability as the "Blad has a longer flange to film distance than the Pentax 6x7. Thus the issue of getting a filter on the the lens.

Hi Anthony,

I know your question relates to a 600mm lens. However, if a 500mm lens is also a possible option, it might be worth reading my reply to a question on this forum, under the title of "canon fd tele lenses on pentax 67"

This lens is the smaller brother to the 600mm pentax. It takes a 52mm rear mounted filter, if req. It is possible to have front mounted filters made, but they would be expensive, as the front element is 126mm. Ive just realised that i wrote about this lens somewhere else, so you could just click on my name.

Although the image is a bit soft at 4.5, it is very sharp by f8.

I dont know if this lens will be of any interest to you, but i thought i would let you know anyway.

Cheers