60 Years Ago - June 1956

<p>Another great look back. I especially enjoyed reading the film articles. I'm guessing that HPS marked the beginning of the long and ongoing competition between Ilford and Kodak (which ultimately made fast black and white film even better over the decades). The Vitessa L is an amazing camera. My dad bought a new one during the mid-fifties and it still functions today, although the meter is no longer accurate. Thanks for sharing.</p>

<p>Any chance of page 122 of that issue please, <strong>Marc</strong>? The article about the Weston III has whetted my appetite but is continued on that page. I have to thank you for these regular glimpes back in time. I find them fascinating, sometimes, the advertisements, as much as the articles themselves! Cheers,<br />Brett</p>

<p>Great link, Marc. Interesting that Kodak didn't have a product in 35mm to directly compete with HPS. Of course, the later Royal-X Pan from Kodak had a box speed of 1250 during the 1960's, but it was not offered in 35mm. The much later Kodak 2475 Recording Film was faster but a lot grainier. By the time it was readily available, Ilford had discontinued HPS. </p>

<p>Great stuff; thanks... again!</p>

<p>I only wish I had read that Verichrome article way back when. I was a dedicated Plus-X shooter and rarely used Verichrome. In hindsight I realize that the little Verichrome I used resulted in some lovely images. I should have been shooting more of it. But at least my trusty Weston III still serves me well. I use it to this day!</p>

<p>I "rediscovered" Verichrome Pan during the mid 1980's when I acquired a used Yashicamat D. While we stocked Plus-X and Tri-X professional in pro-paks at the family camera shop I needed a roll of black & white while traveling. Verichrome Pan was all the mall photo shop had so I tried it and liked it. Still have four rolls that I'm hoarding in cold storage.</p>

<p>Orthochromatic Verichrome was before my time, but I have used a couple of rolls of Rollei Ortho 25. Unique film. I did find a Kodak ad from the early 50’s for Kodak black & white film. I recall that Verichrome was recommended as a “basic and thrifty medium”.</p>