6 X 17 and the Fuji GX617

richard_collins1

I've recently been to a landscape exhibition in London and I've been amazed by

the quality of the 6 x 17 prints which were photograhed using a Fuji GX617.

What I find amazing is that after doing some research there is still not a

digital equivelent to this format! As Fuji has stopped making these cameras

I've been toying with the idea of buying one off Ebay. Has anyone had any

experience of using this camera, and would they recommend purchasing one?

Richard

Richard

I have used the linhof and the Fuji and found the Linhof to have a more acurate viewfinder but both examples I used were early fixed lens cameras. I have had good luck scanning 6X17 negs using an Epson flatbed scanner and an accessory film holder.

Steve

Richard,

I own and shoot with the Fuji G617 with the fixed 105mm lens and a Linhof 6x17 with a 90mm lens and both are great camera's. I have never owned but I have shot with the GX617 and it too is just as good. All build tough for years of shooting.

I scan all my work on my Imacon 343 scanner. If you don't want to risk buying a 617 off ebay drop me an email via my website www.mattlauder.com.au as I am selling my Linhof 617 to pay off my recent purchase of a 1ds Mark II and lenses.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Richard,

I use the older Fuji G617 and love it! I use it for landscapes and weddings/group shots. I've made prints up to 96" wide (LightJet) that are really awesome, but I'm typically printing at about 44" or less (Epson InkJet, Canvas, etc.)

Check out the work of Mark Denton - http://www.markdentonphotographic.co.uk/News.htm

Mark published a panoramic photo book about London a year or so ago that's very nice.

I also use the Imacon 343 scanner...

I've been wanting to get a GX617 system, but the cost is currently prohibitive. You can pick up a G617 on ebay for $2000 - $3000, while the GX617 is going to start at $3500 for the body and go up to ~$10,000 for the body and all four lenses.

Tim!