5D Mark II Flash Sync Speed

toniolombardi

<p>Hi guys,<br>

I finally got my 5D MKII after hours of contemplation and pros and cons :) I m very happy with it apart from the fact that I am getting a black band of the 2nd curtain (i think) when i sync the camera with my elinchrom radio equipment and studio strobes at 1/200s. I've tried it at 1/160 and the band is not there. The specs of the camera say it can sync at 1/200.<br>

Has anyone tried this with this camera yet? Does my camera have something wrong?<br>

Tonio</p>

<p>I have a 5D & 40D and remote trigger Vivitar 283 shoeflashes with skyports.</p>

<p>With the 40D (synch speed 1/250) i get the curtain edge at 1/250 but not at 1/200.</p>

<p>I just got the 5D and haven't tested but i suspect the slight delay with the skyports will force a 1/ 160th speed as well.</p>

<p>Dave is correct about Canon's recommendations for using off shoe (synch speeds are reduced).</p>

<p>I presume you're using the Elinchrom Skyports? I have a set and with my 5D the limitation is around 1/160. This is a function/limitation of the latency in the radio triggers, not your 5D. With an on camera speedlight you will see "better" results in terms of max possible sync speed.</p>

<p>I've used EOS since 1990 and all of them, every single model, could only sync with studio flash at 1/60 or slower. Other cameras I've used were same in this regard. It's not the fault of Canon, it's the studio flash specs. Besides, as long as studio strobes are the main light actual camera shutter speed is a moot point. Why? Flash duration is something like 1/10000, making that your effective shutter speed. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I've noticed this as well with my 5d2 and studio lights, sometimes even at 160 i'm still seeing the darkness on teh bottom, at 125 it's perfect. With the canon speedlight you could use high speed sync and never have to worry about this again, you could set the shutter to av and even at 1/4000 it will sync fine. I'm getting my 580exII tomorrow so I'm excited to try out this feature.</p>

<p>I sync at 1/200 with PWs and Alien Bees and have no problems. On my 20D I sync at 1/250. But I've only done one shoot in the studio with my 5D2 as I've only had it for 3 days. Will pay more attention to this when I shoot tonight and tomorrow, though, a curtain is pretty damn obvious when I see one. :)</p>

• 1 month later...