5D longevity

wingell

The 5D has been on the market for almost three years. Heavy shooters who bought the camera when it first

appeared can easily have tallied over 200,000 images--some perhaps 300,000. I'm interested in hearing about

wear-connected problems these shooters may have encountered on their 5D bodies. What should other heavy users be

anticipating? And are there many of you out there who have remained trouble-free? (I include myself in this last

category--knock wood!) Thanks...Bill

I am over 100k, the camera has survived being knocked off of a 4 foot rock ledge, rolling off of the roof of my car (and breaking the lens completely

off) at 30mph, several cleanings by an incompetent service provider (me!), and all sorts of general abuse that most would not provide to there

camera. Never been to Canon, or any other repair shop. Works just fine, every day. Seems to have picked up a little noise though...

P

My 5D is nowhere near that stage yet, but I think that these "shutter ratings" are, to some extent, part of a larger marketing strategy to keep shooters upgrading every 2-3 years (in addition to adding on new features). I've used a 1D with over 500k actuations on a shutter "rated" at 100-150K. That's not a unique story either.

My 5D purchased in May 08 had major image processing problems out of the box, starting with image 0005! I've never had a lump in my throat as big as that day, after spending that cash lol. Got sent back to Canon Irvine, there were problems with the electronics between the card and the cpu, some stuff got replaced. So there is more than just shutter that can go wrong. I think mine was on the left of the bell curve, when engines in cars crap out, etc. Hopefully I will get many years of use out of it. My only complaint is it feels cheap, next to my 1V and F1s. I have a rrs Lbracket mounted which should cushion any falls to asphalt :=) Tom

"How can you get the click count on a 5D?"

Any Canon Service CTR can download shutter cycles stats off any EOS body, including film models. It may cost ya solo,

but if you ask during any service they'll do it for free. Also, if you attend a "Canon Days" workshop thingie at your local

dealer they'll do a quick clean 'n lube and download shutter cycles.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"How can you get the click count on a 5D?"

do a search for a program called "cancount" on google, i believe this will show you how many actuations you got. Simply take a RAW photo from the camera then drag and drop the file on the .exe file. if you are on mac im not sure how, maybe cancount is available for mac as well.