5D battery grips on Ebay.

<p>After searching through previous posts, I'm still left wondering what people

think about the <i>3rd party</i> grips for the 5D such as <A

HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Power-Battery-Hand-Grip-for-Canon-5D-as-BG-E4-B7A_W0QQitemZ230243742876QQihZ013QQcategoryZ50512QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262#"><b>THIS</b></A>.

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I know that sometimes it doesn't pay to buy cheap knock offs, but sometimes

it does. I've been pretty happy with 3rd party lens hoods and remotes (though I

understand a battery pack is in a different category).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's actually bought/used one and

if you were to buy again, would you rather just spend a couple extra bucks and

get Canon.</p>

I have a third party battery grip for my rebel 350D. It was about $70, shipping included, and so far, it works perfectly. It's not rocket science, it's plastic and metal. I doubt the grip will last as long as a canon one, but that being said, I highly doubt the grip will outlast the camera anyways (I have 40D as well, the rebel is a backup).

Third party stuff is never quite as nice as the canon stuff.... but i've personally never found a good reason not to buy third party stuff. Maybe i've just been lucky so far.

Mr. Wagner, why not buy a used Canon OEM version? Same price if not cheaper? I'd rather go that route than throw money at uncertain third party stuff. These grips are made in China (including the Canon OEM version). The Canon being better built. After reading too many negative reviews on third party grips, I purchased a new OEM grip for my XT almost a year ago and it still feels solid with no fit and finish problems. Plus, depending on where you live, Canon is offering rebates on new 5D grips anyways. Just my 2 cents worth here.

I'm not particularly impressed with the OEM grip on my XTi. It's less than two years old and the "grip" material is peeling off the "chassis" (not sure what the correct names are). It gets used very gently. Fortunately it hasn't effected it's functionality, but I expected more. Just goes to show, you can always get a lemon. In the future I'd rather pay less for a lemon, so I'd probably try a 3rd party grip.

Stephen,

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Nne8

Got to say that I am shooting a wedding with mine in two weeks time, did the engagement

shots this past weekend, I have absolutely no reservation in recommending them!

I also have a Flash bracket attached through the grip, and had no problems with it.

With 2700mha NiMh batteries you will get about 40 shots out of the 5D. I still remain very

impressed with their attention to detail.

I would most certainly not want to waste my money on the canon product in this instance,

and it is not just a couple of extra bucks, its a whole twice the price.

Cheers G