510 Volt batteries

scott_murphy5

<p>I have two 510V battery packs fro my Sunpak 544's but I am unable to find any 510V batteries for them any more. So far a Bing search has come up goose eggs<br>

Does anyone know if they are even available any more and if so, are there some rechargeable ones still available? </p>

<p>I used to use these also, but gave up on them when the prices went out of sight, they became hard to find and better alternatives became available.<br /><br />Edward's link comes up with the battery. But it's $99.95. For around $130 you can buy a used, re-celled Quantum Turbo with charger. A new cable is about $50 but you can probably find that used too. For less than the price of two 510-volt batteries you can have a rechargeable equivalent that will last for years.</p>

<p>I was offered a Honneywell strobinar thast used such a battery.<br>

they were fsvored by wedding photogrpers as the recucle time was very short.<br>

the typical EF uses a Nicad or othert low voltage cell or several cells to operate an inverter whose outputr is 300 v or more,. this can take several seconds.<br>

It is likely thgere was a replacement that had such a setup in the replacement pack. or a shoulder pack with a cable so these frashes could be used.<br>

such a battery will last months if not a few years,. but will die and be useless if not manufactured and uses fresh from the factory.<br>

If you find one it is likely to be stale and not work properly or at all.<br>

as said a newer flash will eb better.<br>

I realized 20 years ago that despite the fast recyclke time, I did not want to own such a beast. even before 1990 it was obsolete.MY first flash an untrablitx monojewt used three internbal ni-cand and a Vibratort not a transistor inverter,. it was weak and took 10-15 sec to recycle.<br>

things have changed radically in recent times. a newer flash will serve you much better.</p>

<p>One source, at $67 -<br>

https://www.batterytex.com/product/detail/neda-no/741/bcs-700cl</p>

<p>Another location, for $75 approx. -<br>

http://www.elliottelectronicsupply.com/batteries/510v-180v-battery-carbon-neda-741.html</p>

<p>Alternate source, at $125! -<br>

http://www.batterybuyer.com/neda-exell-alkaline-battery-510v-p-17313.html</p>

<p>Would have to sell my gear to afford the batteries :o)</p>

<p>I bought a 510v battery case for my Vivitar 365 back in 1982 or so (very cheap!). Never ever bought a battery for it. Nicads were just as fast - I still have the 510v case. I doubt that I will ever use it.</p>

<p>510v batteries are just not cost effective.</p>

<p>I guess supply and demand eventually killed off the 510 volt battery. Basically 340 1.5 volt carbon zinc cells in series (IIRC). It would be impractical to replicate this design with ni-cads, nickel metal hydrides, or even alkaline cells, but advances in rechargeable packs might have made photographers switch over the years.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I looked for one earlier this year and they are apparently still available. I have a High Voltage Pack for the Vivitar 292 and a Metz 403 which use this battery. The battery now comes with all kinds of warnings about how it can kill you. I don't remember thinking about that so many years ago. It's not like I was going to lick the terminals. I suppose it's like all of the warnings which come attached to ladders today. Did it really get more dangerous to use one than it used to be? I would love to find someone who could convert my Metz 403 for use with some other kind of battery. I don't know this for a fact but you could probably use AA lithium batteries in the regular AA battery holder of the Sunpak. It would give plenty of capacity, lighter weight and lower cost than a 510. I rigged up a Low Voltage power pack which was made for the Vivitar 283 to a 292. I used the regular LVC2 connecting cord and removed the NC2 battery from the 292. The two posts inside the battery chamber fit right into the flash end of the LVC2. The LVP2 battery pack takes four D cells. I used 4 amp NiCad cells (you can get Ds with much higher capacity now). The recycling time was not much improved but there was enough capacity to shoot all day. </p>