50mm f2.8 Elmar Collapsible

teneson

<p>I'm quoting from Erwin Puts' analysis (web version): </p>

<h3>1.1.1 2.8/50,Elmar-M, 1994,</h3>

<p>Introduced in 1994 as a special lens, only to be sold in combination with the M6J body, it has evolved into a normal , but underrated, catalogue item since 1996. Production however was continued during 1995. The image quality of this completely redesigned lens is amazingly good and now the position of the stop is between the second and third element. One might assume that the 4 element design has been fully explored and in a sense that is the case. Still the Leica designers could extract more performance out of the design, showing that improvements are always possible, . The ergonomics of the Elmar-M do limit its use. The external design very closely resembles the previous version, and inherits its small aperture ring and distance ring, presumably necessary for the compact size when collapsed. The lens mount is non-rotating.<br>

Figure 89: diagram 48<br>

At full aperture the Elmar-M adds medium to high overall contrast to the image. Fine detail is rendered crisply over most of the film area and fine detail is recorded with great clarity and sharp edges. This behaviour is interesting when compared to the Summicron (III) from 1969, at aperture 2.8. The overall performance is comparable, with the Summicron having an advantage in contrast. But in the field (zonal areas from image height 9mm) the Elmar has clearly the edge. The Summicron has better imagery in the centre (contrast and rendition of fine detail), but the Elmar records fine textures with greater clarity in the field. Stopped down to 5.6 or 8.0, the Elmar improves visibly with a higher contrast and consequently better rendition of (now) very fine detail. The fingerprint difference with the Summicron holds at these apertures too. Only in the extreme corners the Summicron has an advantage. Compared to the older Elmar, we see the progress when we look at the capabilities of recording fine detail, which is excellent with the new version and moderate with the previous version. Vignetting is more visible with the Elmar-M than with the previous version and identical to the current Summicron (IV), stopped down to 1:2.8. Close-up performance, even at full aperture is excellent with the Elmar-M, but less so with the previous Elmar-version.</p>

<p>I have a 50 Elmar M but never use it. It is really not much different to store or carry with a normal lense than a collapable lens so I mostly use a 35mm Lux ASPH and 21mm ASPH. As far as Puts goes, I doubt you will see any difference in image quality compared to recent Leica 50mm lenses ASPH or not. Others must have the same viewpoint as the only reason Leica does not manufacture the lens is that it just didn't sell.-Dick</p>

<p>Why not consider the <a href="http://www.cameraquest.com/voigt_5035N.htm">Viogtlander Heliar 50mm f3.5 collapsable</a>? </p>

<p>Here is what Erwin Puts has to say about the lens in comparison to the Elmar 50mm f2.8:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>The lens Heliar 1:3.5/50mm</strong><br>

On the collimator (infinity setting) there was zero tolerance. Also decentring was zero: a first for Cosina. There is a trace of distortion.<br>

Wide open at 3.5 the lens has medium to high contrast and delivers really outstanding performance. From center to the extreme corners the lens resolves around 100 linepairs/mm with good microcontrast.<br>

There is no astigmatism to speak of and the corner performance is simply stunning for this type of lens. There is a trace of colour fringing, but far less than with higher speed designs. At 1 meter this quality is the same. Stopping down does not improve the performance, bar a trace of higher contrast, and from 4 to 16 we have a very even quality. The excellent performance from 3.5, not only in the center but especially in the outer zones, makes this lens a very strong competitor to higher speed designs and may evoke the question why we really want high speed lenses.<br>

Mechanically there is something to complain about: the focusing movement was a bit rough, and the collapsible tube has some play. when not secured, but this is nitpicking. Optically the lens is oustandingly good in the class of standard focal lengths.<br>

<strong>The Elmar-M 2.8/50mm</strong><br>

Again no decentring and high class mechanical design. At 2.8 the center performance is a trace better than that of the Heliar, but in the outer zones and corners the Heliar is better, not by much however. I doubt if many users would detect it, but it is real and measurable. At 4 the Elmar is at its top, and delivers the 100 linepairs/mm from center to the outer zones (excluding the corners where we read 77 lp/mm). Stopping down does not improve the image quality.<br>

Based on resolution figures both lenses are comparable. The Heliar however scores with a better flatness of field and less astigmatism, which give the pictures a bit more sparkle. The Elmar has somewhat less colour fringing, but the edges of very fine detail are a bit softer.<br>

For most applications both lenses would appear to be equal. But optically speaking the Heliar has the edge and delivers on all counts the better image quality, not by much, but it is there.<br>

In the past it has often been said that a triplet design is best at 3.5 or 4 and the stretching of the lens to 2.8 is not the best option. We see this piece of wisdom demonstrated here. Leica would be well advised to use the lens design in the Null-series to counter the Heliar.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Mark,</p>

<p>I was researching the Vogtlander 50mm f3.5 Heliar some time ago when the chrome version was still available new. I have three excellent Leica M 50mm lens samples, so as much as I was tempted, I never purchased the Heliar.</p>

<p>Just coincidentally, yesterday I revisited the reviews regarding the Helier and decided to purchase one before even the nickel lens disappears completely from the new market. I am curious to see how it compares with the look of the images produced by my Leica 50mm lenses.</p>

<p>Every lens design and corresponding vintage has its own signature rendition of a particular subject or scene. I am hoping for a 3D look, similar to that which I get from my 50mm Leica Summitar f2, only sharper. My Summicron DR is sharper than my 50mm Summitar, but the images it produces do not have that Summitar dimensionality I like so much.</p>

<p>Hello Robert,<br>

People have asked me why the 50/2.8 Elmar? Precisely what you've just mentioned: it is the signature rendition. I've also been questioned as to why I like the 50mm Summitar, when today's fifties are so much "better." Well, "better" to me is a list of parameters, of which sharpness is but a small part of. <br>

I would also like to add that another favorite of mine is the collapsible 50mm Summicron, whose rendition is beyond my ability to fully describe. They virtually go around the flatness of the photograph.</p>

<p><a href="http://sabroso-thursday.blogspot.com/">http://sabroso-thursday.blogspot.com/</a></p>

<p>Jo,</p>

<p>Average price on eBay for a used Leica 50mm f2.8 Elmar-M in excellent+ to like new condition is around $900 plus or minus.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.amazon.com/Leica-50mm-Elmar-Standard-11831/dp/B0000AGAXZ">Here is a new old stock offering for $1400</a>.</p>

<p>You might find a better price if you are willing to wait and search diligently. You might want to keep an eye on <a href="http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost-classifieds/index.php?cat=1">this site</a> and <a href="../gc/domain-multi?sort_by=closing&category=Leica+and+Rangefinders">photo.net's own classifieds</a>.</p>