40D prices dropping?

._._z

Really? Wow. That really does change daily.

The fact that the price is dropping is more indicative of market SOFTNESS, as opposed to a holiday rush. Huh. Maybe good I didn't buy yet. When I was looking last night, I was considering the the $1424 kit with 28-135/IS from amazon.

*** checks internet ****. Huh, I see the Amazon price of $1149. It *was* higher yesterday.

Huh. Maybe we will see $1000 before too long. Wouldn't that be a treat?

Right. The Consumer shelf cost has *little* relation to the cost of production of the camera. It's all about market demand. The D60 and 10D never budged in their retail price during their product life. Now that dSLR's are saturating the market. . . the demand (and therefore the price) is soft.

They are dropping to clear out inventory in anticipation of the 50D at the coming Photo Shows. It will come out to top the D300 Nikon has which is giving Canon fits as far as its performance.

Canon needs something to compete in that market as they are losing sales to Nikon with the D300 body in comparison to the 40D.

"Canon needs something to compete in that market as they are losing sales to Nikon with the D300 body in comparison to the 40D."

As a Nikon shooter who owns a D300, I don't understand why this is the case -- but the D300 does appear to be enormously popular. Mostly what I'm seeing in the Nikon forum at this website is that Nikon owners are the ones driving the demand -- film camera hold-outs, consumer DSLR and D200 camera upgraders, and even some D2 users; I can't recall seeing anyone making the switch from Canon for the D300, but the D3 is another matter altogether.

40D is only 10mp, whereas the competetion has recently launched 12mp crop sensor bodies and pentax leaked they've got a 14mp coming out at somepoint, soon?

I'm looking for a deeper discount on 40D after Christmas and PMA just based on 10mp is smaller than 12mp and 12mp is smaller than 14mp. Not that any of this means much as the 40D specs quite well otherwise. That said anybody notice the 30D shed another $100 at B&H today:

$799 body only for 30D

Lindy

30D price is no longer relevant: This is old, unsold inventory. They ain't making anymore. . .and they will continue to drop the price until they are gone.

As for 50D rumours. . .. get real. The 40D is only 6 monthes old. I have seen speculation of a XTi replacement. Hmmm. That body will be 18 months old. . .Hmmm.

But more than likely, a 5D replacement is at hand -> somthing to seriously compete with the 300D. But honestly. . .merely sticking a full frame sensor into a 40D and going after the $3K price point seems rather . . . .boring, eh? But that's where the smart money would bet.

The 5D is already at $2100, which, interestingly enough, it was for a couple of weeks at the beginning of this year as well (when there were rumors floating about a replacement).

Canon ought to be smart enough to understand how effective Nikon has been in the last 2 years with well-designed, popular products which have taken market share. At this point they cannot changethe speds of any hardware coming out in January, but they have the ability to target the pricing. I expect we will see a 40Dish full-frame body competing around the D300 price point; it will be a very popular upgrade and help stem defections to other brands.

"merely sticking a full frame sensor into a 40D and going after the $3K price point seems rather . . . .boring, eh?"

The 40D is already at $1150 at major retailers. How about dropping it to $999 and coming out with a 50D with image stabilization? I don't think it will happen (not for another year, anyway), but I bet it would sell like the proverbial....

Handling a Nikon D3 a couple weeks ago at demodays was eyeopening and may have changed my equiptment acquisition goals. I love the wide side and the nikon 14-24mm 2.8 full frame is very desireable for me. When D3 issued at $5,000 seemed like insane money but after I test drove one with the 14-24mm 2.8 I seem to be minimizing the sticker shock.

In the meantime top end Pentax dslr sell for 1/2 Eos 40D money so I'd guess there's still alot of profit for canon selling these 40D and 30D. I've gotten spoiled by pentax 10mp dslr's $599 price point, if it weren't for total lack of brand new f2.8 telephoto glass I think pentax would be woo'n more over.

I've learned its always best to wait 12 months for prices to settle downward and bugs to be conquered. Having a dslr in hand is a valuable asset and makes up for the extra money it takes to be among the first to buy new dslrs at full issue price.

Lindy

I don't care about 100 bucks here or there.<BR>

I paid 1299 at Samys yesterday and I have it here in my hand now.<BR>

it' pretty sweet, and has noticeable improvments over my old 20d, and the booster grip fits.<Br>you guys sit and wait, I'd rather pay the couple extra bucks and be using it the whole time.<BR>I wish it was full frame, otherwise it's perfect.<BR>

I suppose the car analogy is true. I bought a brand new turbo Subaru with 62 miles on it and got a full $5,000 off the $29,000 window sticker because I waited till the 2006 models were on the lot (July 2005). It was so easy to get $5,000 off sticker that I'll ask for $7,000 off next time I buy a new subaru since asking for $5,000 off was easy and hassle free and I was met with no denial or counteroffer.

I like the 40D but being 10mp with the competetion's 12mp issued right afterward will drive the canon's price down quicker than usual. When you can get built in image stabilized 10mp pentax K10D body and with more weather sealing than 40D for $599 it shows me canon has much more room for discounting the 40D. I hope so, as 40D with its 6 frame per second ability is on my short list of intersts. If canon cut the 40D price in half the next two months instead of 12 months from now I'd buy two. But instead it will shed $100 here and $50 there and in the meantime Nikon will isuue their other two full frame dslrs in 2008 that the Nikon rep clued me in on a couple weeks ago. 2008 is going to be an exciting year for digital slr imaging product announcements.

But don't get get my take of it wrong, 40D is a great camera whether you just paid $1,300 or it or you waited a year to pay $700~ish.

And as usual I'll happily wait and watch the price drops with two identical dslrs inhand.

Lindy

Well. . .I already have a dSLR. A good working 10D. If it breaks tomorrow, I will have a new 40D on a truck within 6 hours. Well. . if it broke TOMORROW, I might wait until Dec 26th before placing an order :)

BUT. . with a good working 10D in hand, I have the luxury of endulging in my other hobby: "price watching".

After all. .this is a gear head forum. Price watching on "gear" is part of the fun. :)

I'm with you on that one Jim. Price watching is fun.

I bought the 40D with 28-135 kit for $1500 when it first hit Amazon. Sold the lens for $300, so I have $1200 into the body. I could have waited the last three months and saved a few bucks, but I've been having too much fun with it to even think about that.

I have also found the improved AF has increased my keeper rate substantially in low light, and that has made me money that I would not have gotten otherwise. For me personally, it has been more than worth it.

Lindy, people can wait all they want, but don't expect the 40D to get much below $1100 until the 50D is just about to ship in another 15 months. Nikon, et al, are not putting that much pressure on the 40D. The D300 is priced too high, and sadly, Pentax isn't competition to anyone. Meanwhile, those people can sit back and think of what they're missing. :)