39mm ES filter 0.75 pitch

robertodad

Hello,

Thanks for those who help me to decide on my 90 Elmar-C, works beautifully.

Now i do have problems finding a dark yellow and a UV filter for it.

Does any one know a brand with a serial # to order it?

I have been to B&H, Photovillage and couldn't find it.

your help would be time saving.

Thanks again.

The lens was originally designed to take Series 5.5 filters, which are not threaded but are instead clamped in place by the original Leitz lens hood.

You can order Series 5.5 filters from any B+W stockist. There is quite a wide range of B+W filters available to order in that size.

You do still use the rubber hood, it holds in the Series 5.5 filter.

I think having SK Grimes make an adapter ring is probably the simplest solution. I'm sure they have made the same one before. Of course, then you can't use the hood, since it has threads to match the lens.

E39 filters are suitable for the 'C' lenses even though the pitches differ. Just screw in until resistance is felt and then STOP! Any further and you will permanently distort the threads. Series 5.5 filters are not that much trouble to obtain if you prefer to use the rubber shade as a retainer. If your rubber shade is getting old and flakey cut the rubber off and sand the periphery down to level with the plastic ring -- just shy of 42mm. A clip on hood ( I use a 12526 rectangular hood) will then grip the remaining rubber enough but will also break away under impact, preventing distortion of the filter flange. I've been practicing this ever since I acquired the Summicron C and Elmar C (nearly twenty years ago) with no problems whatever.

On my Summircon-C 40mm I use Series 5.5 filters. These are rare but I have acquired as few over the years --no duplicates sorry. I also use 39mm filters w/o the rim under in the filter holder or lens hood. Some fit perfectly some I trimmed down. An O-ring makes the setup perfect.

B+W can supply you with a 39mm ES filter 0.75 pitch.

The Elmar-C is a great lens but the filter thread pitch and series 5.5 filters are a pain. Still, best less for the money.

Richard, i contacted the company in the UK, will see when they get back to me.

thanks for your help, i do have a regular 39mm filter but it's too risky with everything

hanging by one thread, i rather have the right fit and not loose the hood.

I would like to order a B+W ES filter but no one knows the I.D #, so if one of you knows

about it please forward it to me.

Also if i can't find the B+W, and you are interested to custom order a dark yellow and a UV

filter with me, let me know.

Thanks again.