35mm equivalent of camcorder zoom lens

mark_vints

Hi,

I'd like to be able to compare my camcorder zoom settings to what I'm

used to from 35mm "still" photography. The camcorder lens

reads "f=2.9-58.0mm 1:1.6". What does this compare to in normal

photography? Also, is this truly a f/1.6 lens even at the long end?

The camcorder is a Panasonic NV-DS150 (probably other name outside

Europe as I can't find it on the web). The manual says it has a 1/4

inch CCD.

The lens you have on the NV DS150 2.9mm to 58mm f 1:6 is a 20X lens.The factor of 11.4 for a 1/4 in CCD will give you the 35mm lens conversion.(got factor from a Canon site) 2.9 X 11.4 =33....58 X 11.4 = 661, so it is a 33mm to 661mm lens in term of 35mm format, this sounds big but you are going to a 1/4inch CCD.When a lens says it is a 20x it means that you multilply the widest part of the lens by the 20, you have a 33mm at wide so 33 X 20 = 660, that is what you have at the tall end of the lens.A 10x lens on a 10mm wide is a 10mm to 100mm lens etc... Most manufactors give you way too much telephoto on the Video camera lens, it is cheaper to make, you can NOT hold a camera steady with that much telephoto ,it will look like you are standing in a row boat... .You really need more wide angle on the lens.You will most likely lose a stop or so at the longer part of the lens, look at the f stop read out while you zoom from wide to full telephoto and see where it drops.Below is a link to the NV DS150

http://www.camcordercentre.com/acatalog/Our_Product_Range_NV_DS150_78.html