35mm Comparison - setting aside the price difference

I've not tried the Summarit, but own the Biogon and love it. Got rid of a 35mm Asph. Summicron as it was a little to harsh for my tastes. Too each his/her own.

Price never entered into it, what I like in an image was the main reason I finally ended up with the Zeiss.

If you have a good dealer close by, take your camera in and snap a few with each one. If not, search the web for images shot with each. It becomes a personal choice that you and you alone have to make.

In between the two is the Summicron V4. I'd choose the Summicron V4 if we are talking film. On the other hand the Biogons are terrifically sharp lenses & with the exception of the 28mm (which may be better than the Leica 28mm) just a "hair" under the Summicrons. The issue is not so much the quality but the retention of value. Leica has & will continue to retain their value. This is an issue that needs to be stated. I, for one, do not make it a consideration when purchasing a lens (or any camera) as I intend to keep and photograph with it and not put it on my shelf.

<i>An educated (read well raised) response would be "Ronald, could you explain that? It doesn't sound right.</i><p>Why? It was a total non-sequitor that had nothing to do with the question. There was no discussion of "Chinese" or "Japanese" in the question or the followup before that comment. It has to be interpreted for what it is, a comment about Chinese and Japanese people, not anything to do with cameras.

From the day another member (Kevin Parratt) first showed me an article in 'Photo Techniques' years ago about 'Bokeh', the out-of-focus qualities, it has completely changed the way I view images, and select a lens to purchase. It answered questions as to why some wedding photos in a photography studio window, taken with famously sharp Mamiya lenses, were repulsive to my senses. (I don't remember the particular Mamiya lens, but I knew the photographer and that he uses Mamiya exclusively) However, the 50x60cm enlarged print of the proud and happy couple had a very disturbing background. Having seen the image, I had the discussion with Kevin the next day, and went back to see the photograph on display.

What I'm coming to now, is to ask anyone, have you actually compared the Bokeh of the two lenses that Keith is asking about? Do they compare with the W. Mandler 35mm Summicron in this respect? Even the 35mm f/2.8 Summaron is a gem, although I can imagine it may be no match for the Biogon in other ways.

I would value your experience on this point.

Thanks, Jenny

PS. Noted in the article was the comment that we in the West have been so pre-occupied with sharpness, resolution, accutance etc., but when a new lens is reviewed in the Japanese media, as much if not more space is given to discussing the areas of the image which are outside sharpness.

The Inuit and Sami peoples of the far North, have extensive vocabularies just for the description of snow, and we may have the same for discussing the fineries of wine. But I really wish I could read Japanese, simply to benefit from their knowledge and appreciation of Bokeh, ( ..which has not even been mentioned in this thread.)