Is there a scanner on the market that gives outstanding scans for both 35mm and

medium format.

I was going to go only MF but the desire to shoot 35mm is still too strong, So

I am looking for a scanner that will scan both.

Any recommendations on a model or more importantly ones to avoid.

Looking to spend around $800USD or $1000AUD max

The Nikon 9000 is your answer...except for its price range. Like R. Smith suggested, perhaps you can find a good used one, or a Nikon 8000. Another expense with the Nikon is that it does not come with SilverFast, only Nikon Scan..which isn't bad, but not nearly as good as SilverFast. The Epson V750 Pro comes with SilverFast Ai, and reportedlyl does a decent job with 35mm. It falls within your price range. Microtek has a new scanner, the M1 Pro, for about the same price as the Epson V750. It doesn't have Digital ICE for film, but it does have some interesting specs with it, such as automatic focus.

I was facing the same problem and bought a Kodak 3570 scanner on eBay for $250. They have been lower at times. They are not always available on eBay (except for one seller who insists on putting a ridiculous starting prices of $995 on his auction). This scanner will handle up to 6x9 images. It is an older scanner without digitial ICE. It requires a SCSI port. There is no active support, but the user manual and driver are available at kodak.com.