350Xt with Battery Grip--questions.

robert_thommes

I've just ordered a Opteka Battery Grip for use with my Xt. I handled this

combo the other day, and thought that it seemed and felt very solid. But how

solid will it be with a Canon 70-300 IS USM lens when the whole rig is mounted

on a tripod or monopod? And secondly, how often do you folks keep the combo

connected? 1)only for certain shooting situations? 2) at least half the time?

3) all the time (the grip is always mounted and in use).

As always, thanks for your remarks.

The Canon BG-E3 stays on my XT all the time. It greatly improves the feel, balance and handling of the camera when my 70-200/4L IS USM is mounted with or without the Canon tripod collar ring. The vertical shutter release is absolutely necessary for any mounted lens.

I had a grip made by still another knock-off outfit, and I found it to make my XTi much more comfortable for me. When I traded my daughter for the camera, she took off the grip and has never used it.

On the other hand, I bought an Opteka grip for the 20D that I got from my daughter, and used it only once. The ensemble seemed heavy and awkward on the larger body, again, for me and my hands.

It's obviously much more a matter of personal preference, but the grips are (I think) most popular on the smaller cameras. Enjoy. Oh, and buy extra regular batteries--a set of the normal alkaline AA or whatever batteries only lasted me about a hour's worth of shooting the one time I tried it. They are really for emergencies when you can't get charged regular batteries (but, would you have the battery holder along in that case? Only if you plan ahead) Otherwise use the regular camera batteries in multiples.