3.5 Digital Photo Professional has been released

steve_brantley2

On Oct. 24th, Canon posted the Windows and Mac instruction manuals for the new (and slightly improved) version 3.5

Digital Photo Professional. Canon EOS customer service told me today that their web link should be updated within the next

few days to allow for a download. The new 50D is currently being distributed with DPP 3.5 installed. Unfortunately, what I

hoped to see - horizon correction - has not beeen added. Basically the DPP 3.5 version shows focus points on an image,

and allows for more lens corrections. But nothing more seems to be added other than these two features. Anyway, I love

using DPP for my RAW images, and now rarely use Photoshop anymore now that I learned to appreciate DPP's ease and

speed of use. Regards.

I think you get DPP 3.5.0.0 with the 50D (at least that's what came with the one I'm testing right now). I can confim that it will display the AF point.

Word is that maybe DPP.3.5.1.0 will ship with the EOS 5D MkII but I don't expect that will be a major update (probably just with 5D MkII support added).

DPP 3.5 came with my G10. I wasn't aware of the focus points but it's not something I would normally use anyway.

DPP seems to get a bad rap in some forums but I have found images where I like it better then ACR. Sometimes I'll process an image with both and make a choice. I can't say I've developed a rule of thumb yet to decide ahead of time which program I'll use. Sometimes, IMHO, DPP makes images "pop" more then ACR, at least with less work. On the other hand ACR has more adjustments available.

I use CS2 so there are newer versions of ACR that I don't have access to.

[[DPP seems to get a bad rap in some forums ]]

In nearly every case (that I've seen) this is because of the user interface, not because of the quality of the output. DPP is a maddening mess when it comes to workflow and UI (just my opinion).