28mm PC shift lens on D600

larry h-l

<p>Hi.<br>

Considering a D600; will my older 28mm PC shift lens, and older 35mm PC lens fit on the body?<br>

The Nikon site doesn't mention the 28mm or 35mm PC as incompatible, but the D600 body looks really small. Just want to make sure that the lens doesn't hit the body.<br>

<br />Has anyone actually put a 28mm PC shift lens on their D600?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>I know I have seen some lists that caution against mounting the PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 lens on certain newer F-mount bodies, e.g., <a href="http://www.momentcorp.com/review/nikon_mf_lens_versions.html">link</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Some times there are certain serial numbers of lenses that can and can't be mounted. Like the PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8</p>

</blockquote>

<p>and I vaguely remember seeing some similar injunctions about the PC-Nikkor 28mm, but for the life of me I can't find the links in my archives and only the above and a few similar asides by Googling. Also see my comments at (<a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00aPpw">link</a>)</p>

<p>When in doubt, and when all else fails, read the manual (available for <a href="http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13948/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL3RYUUVndTdr#Anchor-13">download</a> at Nikon USA). ;-) :-D</p>

<p>The modern (i.e. AiS, 1980>) PC-Nikkor lenses are specifically listed as compatible lenses in the table on page 285 of the D600 manual with no references to possible interference.</p>

<p>All serial numbers of the 28/3.5 PC-Nikkor are compatible.</p>

<p>There are specific serial number ranges of the 28/4 PC-Nikkor and the early 35/2.8 PC-Nikkor that are not compatible, listed on page 288. These are typically lenses produced prior to 1980. So if you are considering using a 28/4 PC-Nikkor or an older 35/2.8 PC-Nikkor lens, check the serial number carefully.</p>

<p>All versions of the 35/3.5 PC-Nikkor are incompatible.</p>

<p>Larry, if you haven't used a PC shift lens on a DSLR before, you might be a bit horrified at the results. The 35mm f/2.8 PC-Nikkor isn't too bad, but the 28mm f/3.5 gives very noticeable red/blue fringing when shifted more than a couple of millimetres off axis. And because the fringing varies with the amount and angle of shift, it's not too easy to correct with software.</p>

<p>The D600 manual definitely states which serial numbers of PC lens are "unsafe" to use - see p288 for a list of incompatible lenses. The issue is the clearance between the plastic Ai coupler tab on the camera and the rear of the lens. Older lenses can trap the Ai tab between lens and camera body and distort it or otherwise damage it. The manual also states that PC Nikkors cannot be shifted with this camera. I find that hard to believe, but it should be easy to see whether the lens will collide with the prism overhang.</p>

<p>I'm right with RJ on this one. I'm pretty disappointed in the performance of both versions of the 28mm PC, the newer f3.5 and the older f4, despite the older lens's reputation for better performance than its replacement.</p>

<p>The 28mm Super Angulon, on the other hand, lives up to the hype, but not sure how the clearance is on a D600.</p>

<p>I think, if I didn't have such insane amounts of Nikon stuff, I'd look at a 5D or 6D and a Canon 24mm TS/E. Best modern wide shift lens out there. Rented one for the 5D II I keep around for macro and video, and was quite impressed.</p>

<p>I've seen some CA around really bright highlights (white or chrome objects) with my 28/3.5 PC Nikkor on my D2H. I haven't found it particularly difficult to correct the CA digitally. But the D2H isn't much a platform for a shift lens - only 4 meagrepickles and crop frame. I'm tempted to rent a D700 or other FX Nikon to try the 28/3.5 PC before I sell it.</p>

<p>Haven't tried the 28/3.5 PC yet on the V1, which would be an odd combo, but I'll give it a try soon just out of curiosity.</p>

<p>The 28mm 3.5 PC's images are truely horrid from my D700....unless un-shifted! I've not tried it recently on any of my DXs. Time to try it on my D5100 or maybe my V1??</p>

<p>It was the shifted long axis 'ends' that looked the worst (looked kinda smeared), so maybe the cropped nature of DX or CX may make it better....but of course my 28mm now captures 42mm or ~70mm respectively..:-(</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Mark,<br /> How do you find the performance? Are you stopping down to get better quality?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Dan, my apologies for the very delayed reply. There have been several comments in this thread suggesting that the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 Ai-S is horrible, but my experience differs. There is some CA, especially at wider apertures, both lateral and axial, but it's not horrible. The lateral CA is trivial to correct in Lightroom, the axial CA can be tougher but isn't all that bad, in my experience.</p>

<p>Other than the CA, I have absolutely nothing to complain about. Well, the manual aperture is a bitch, since I sometimes forget...</p>

<p><a href=" 20120706-8329 src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7128/7524384460_62f744cc04_z.jpg" alt="" width="426" height="640" /></a></p>

I ended up borrowing a D600 for a week. The 28mm f3.5 PC fits on the body just fine, but if the shift knob is rotated to the grip side of the

camera, it is somewhat tight on the fingers. I have enough clearance, but if you have large hands, or are wearing gloves it may be too

close for comfort.

I convert everything to B&W; image quality seems OK for my needs. Will probably buy a 600 body.

Thanks to all.