24-105 rubber zoom ring grip coming loose

pjmeade

<p>I've had a quick search through the forum but didn't find an answer, has anyone else noticed the rubber zoom ring grip come off?<br>

I was working at a polo tournament for ~8 hours in 30C temperatures on Saturday and towards the end of that time, noticed that the zoom wasn't working. I looked down to find that the black rubber grip had become partly unseated and was stopping the movement. I'd had another 8 hour shoot at around the same temperature a week before, but without problems.<br>

We don't often get temperatures around 30C (86F) in the UK, is this kind of occurrence common in warmer parts of the world?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>It's normal here in Honolulu 365 days of the year and my 7 year old 24-105L is just fine. It could be your finger sweat mixed with heat and heavy use just freed the adhesive. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Those temperatures are pretty common in many places (yesterday we got 40oC here in Monterrey, Mexico), and none of

my lenses, both standard and L series, have a loose rubber grip for that reason. On the other hand, the rubber on my old

28-135 got loose a couple of years ago when I used it without enough protection under the rain of hurricane Alex, so I

believe Puppy Face has the right answer.

In my case, not just the rubber grips got loose, but the lens started showing alignment issues, perhaps because the

rubber bands are also there to cover some screws, so I ended replacing the lens with the L series equivalent. The point is

that you may want to make sure your lens is working properly.

<p>Yeah, here in the Gulf Coastal Plain (yes, it does get up to Southern Illinois) also, we consider 86 F to be a cool day, especially if the relative humidity is below 90%. :(</p>

<p>On much hotter, more humid days, my 24-105mm has shown no signs of loosening rubber, so it may be a matter of some other aging factor.</p>