2016 Fall Colorado Colors--Initial report

joseph_smith3

<p>I just am returning from a road trip in Colorado. The purpose was not Fall Color photos, but here is what I saw from Sept 6-10, 2016: <br>

I saw some beginnings of light yellow on aspens at around 9,100 feet in Frisco and in Silverton along US 550. The other areas I visited that are known for colors are still very much green: US 550 south to Durango from Silverton; McClure Pass on CO 133; Dallas Divide near Ridgeway, CO; and Ouray, CO. Some locals said the colors are four weeks away. I know from past experiences that weather plays a key role when they turn and how long they stay. <br>

I drove from Ouray, CO to Carlsbad, NM today.</p>

<p>Joe</p>

<p>Things are changing. When I first travelled to Colorado to photograph fall colour- in 2000- I arrived mid September and things were getting towards over by the end of the month. Same in 2002. But in 2010 and 2015 there was nothing to see in most areas till 21 Sept or after, peak seemed about the end of the month and colour persisted into October. I know things vary year by year according to weather, but there does seem a general pattern of fall colour occurring later and indeed of spring occurring earlier in places such as Tuscany. Unsurprising given climatic change I suppose .<br>

Meanwhile in out of the way places (eg Lake City, Colorado) they resolutely close their stores, cafes etc around end September and are now quite often closed for the season at peak foliage time. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Picking at nits department:</p>

<p>From a statistical standpoint, 4 observations in 16 years are enough to establish a possible delay in seasonal changes. More data is needed to prove the shift. Places like the Mohonk Mountain House (in the Catskills) that have consistent observations spanning more than a century are enough to prove (beyond a reasonable doubt) that changes have occurred. The US forrest service has confirmed that the fire season is weeks longer than it used to be. </p>

• 3 weeks later...