1d2n - "Err 01" with old film lens

paul_richardson9

<p>Hey!</p>

<p>I've just picked up a secondhand 1dmk 2n, and I'm trying to use some old film lenses on it. These are using the chipless adapters.</p>

<p>However, I get the "Err 01" message (signifying the lens isn't talking to the camera). Is there any way to get around this? I figure perhaps a chipped adapter will work, but I don't want to throw money at it if it won't help.</p>

<p>All the lenses and adapters worked fine on my 500d, so I cant see why it should be any different. I've also updated to firmware 1.1.2</p>

<p>Any help much appreciated! <br>

<br />Cheers<br>

Paul</p>

<p>Hi Henry,<br>

<br />Works fine with no lens attached.<br>

All modes give the error.<br>

Yup, attached a sigma 8mm and it worked fine.</p>

<p>I tried covering the lens contacts with some tape, but it didn't help. I guess that the adapter pushes the contacts in slightly when it twists on. The camera then thinks 'contacts depressed, read lens data'. But it can't find any and gets confused.</p>

<p>Paul</p>

<p>All fixed! Grinded about 3mm off the mount, works perfectly now :) Turns out I was pretty close to what was happening with my second message!</p>

<p>If you look at the 10oclock position to the camera body, you will see a black pin. When this is depressed it tells the camera that there is a lens mounted to the body. The camera then looks for the electronic contacts, which it can't find. So it gets confused and won't fire.</p>

<p>By removing the bit of the lens mount that contacts this pin, you solve the problem :)</p>

<p>Well, well. I never knew there was a "lens present" switch in an EOS body. I didn't get this problem when I tried an FD/EF adapter. I guess the adapter flange didn't reach the actuator pin with this particular adapter.<br>

I'm pleased to hear you sorted it out. Thanks for letting me know.<br>

Henry</p>

<p>You've discovered the lens detection microswitch!</p>

<p>See http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html</p>

<p>It's a switch present on the lens mount of older EOS bodies which must <strong>not</strong> be tripped unless a valid EF series lens <em>with electrical connections</em> is attached.</p>

<p>It's on the early 1D series bodies up to the MkII (MkIII is OK I think). I also understand it's on the D30, D60 (not 30D and 60D) and 10D DSLRs and I know it's on some (if not all) of the EOS film bodies.</p>

<p>Looking through my collection (where did they all come from?), the bodies that have the switch are RT, 1, 1V, 3, 5 (AE2), 50 (Elan II), 55 and 7D.<br>

The ones that don't have the switch are 30V (Elan 7N), 300X (Rebel T2) and 400D (Rebel XT).<br>

What is the purpose of the switch? Why should some bodies have it and some not?</p>

<p>Henry</p>

<p>I did not know the 7D had the switch. I have had trouble getting some adapters with AF confirm to work on the 7D. I have now found out that in order for the adapters to work I have to change one of the custom function settings in-camera. Namely, C.Fn III function 10, enable Focus Display in AI SERVO/MF.</p>

<p>I don't actually own a 7D so cannot do any further testing.</p>

<p>I can confirm that the EOS 3 and 50E have the switch and the 5D MkII does not.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I suspect you are mistaken about the 7D. I don't think any recent DSLR has the microswitch. My old EOS 630 and my Elan IIe both have one and my old EOS-3 did. I think my EOS 10D did too, but I haven't run into the problem since then. The 5D (original) doesn't have it either.</p>

<p>It seems to be confined to the EOS film bodies and the first few DSLRs. Looking at the cameras that do and don't have it, it appears that those released before mid 2004 have it and those released after mid 2004 don't. That would make the last one to have it the 1D MkII and the first one not to have it the EOS 20D. If that's true then the original Digital Rebel (300D) should have the microswitch, but the Rebel XT (350D) shouldn't. The original 1D and 1Ds should also both have it, but the 1Ds MkII shouldn't. The other DSLRs that have it should be the D30, D60 and 10D as well as the earlier DCS3, DCS1, D2000 and D6000 which were basically EOS-1N bodies with a digital back on them.</p>

<p>The switch told the camera when a lens was mounted. So if a lens was mounted and the electronics in the lens had a problem, the camera reported an error condition. If no lens was mounted the camera would fire as normal. I guess Canon changed their firmware to simply look at the electronic contacts to see if a lens was mounted. That would save the cost and complexity of an additional microswitch. I'm not sure why they needed the switch in the first place, but I presume they had their reasons. Maybe the technology wasn't there when the mount was first introduced (around 1986) to do everything via the electronic contacts on the lens.</p>

<p> </p>