1d Mark II N On Canon Website

Just saw the <a

href="http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=12012">1D

Mark II N</a> posted on Canon's Website, and saw no notice of it here.

FYI:

Canon's new EOS-1D Mark II N can record 8.5 frames-per-second for up

to 48 frames in one burst. It features Canon's proven 8.2 Megapixel

CMOS sensor with a 1.3x conversion factor, combined with the speed and

intelligence of the DIGIC II Image Processor, all in a rock-solid,

metal body. Adding the ability to record RAW and JPEG images on

different memory cards, a larger 2.5 inch LCD, Canon's "Picture Style"

technology and more, the 1D Mark II N's formidable combination of

speed and resolution makes it the choice of pros everywhere.

Did we all miss this coming down the pipeline?<div>00DUag-25573684.jpg.0e84fbb3e77d6d95b1671b09a90e29f5.jpg</div>

It is already easy to imagine the hundreds of forum discussions on the topic "Should I get a 1DMkIIN or a 5D ?".

Which would be missing out on the REAL interesting question which is "Who the heck comes up with model designations at Canon ? Why isn't it the 1DMkIII ? Why did they call the 5D the same name as a contemporary Konica-Minolta DSLR ?"

Steven...do you seriously think that ALL of the people hanging out here, with highly developed instincts regarding new and improved products, eagle's eye for small nuances in every piece of equipment available (and sometimes not yet available) - do you SERIOUSLY think that ALL of them would miss a new (well...almost) DSLR ?

Do you really have so little regard for PhotoNet that you even start suspecting such an unthinkable thing to occur ? If that really happened, PhotoNet would be the laughing stock of the whole techno-photo-digi community...and would die a horrible death soon after...

In fact there was a lot of talk about it BEFORE it was even announced by Canon... ;)

No, mate, nothing has been missed, we all (?) have been logging in here 10x a day just to check if THE ANNOUNCEMENT has finally been made. And it has been made in due course...after which it has become old news...now we onto EOS 3D...anyone minds if I start a new rumor here ? ;) ;) ;)

It is a rising, unbeatable wave that build in the EOS forum for all of Canon's significant annoncements. The only one this time that caught us by surprise is the relatively benign 430EX Speedlite.

<p>

I check this forum 2 to 12 times/day. My hope is the upcoming 3D announcement will not catch me by surprise -- even if it does come for Xmas 2006.

The 1D MkII N didn't draw much attention because it's essentially the same as the 1D MkII with a larger LCD. Not really a big deal.

I haven't gotten around to posting info on the 430EX on photo.net yet, but there's a short article on my website at http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/430ex_speedlite.html

I'm not sure about the 430EX. Sure it's better than the old 420EX, but it's $130 more ($300) and only $90 cheaper than the much more capable 580EX. Since Canon have dropped the 420EX, your Canon choice now is between the very basic 220EX (with no zoom and no bounce) for $140 or you jump $160 to the 430EX or $250 to the 580EX. The old 420EX was a good compromise with zoom and bounce for around $180.