122 film

<p>This might belong to a different forum, but I thought I'd ask here since classics is what we do. I have recently acquired few lovely examples of folders that take 122 film and I am patiently waiting to Ilford to unveil their plan for 2014 ULF film run with hopes to purchase some 122 size bulk film. Now the question is where the heck do I get 122 film backing paper? I have few spools and I can get some more from my local camera store, but backing paper? Is the great auction site my only option? I don't mind making my own, but what paper would one use? Any input here? </p>

<p>I've heard mention in the past of using <a href="http://www.cartooncolor.com/exeter-paper-glossy-black-26-x-footage/">Exeter paper</a> to make backing paper.<br>

You also need the spools, but probably not hard to make out of metal for the ends, and a dowel as the spool. (The original technique.)<br>

I'll try ordering one 50' roll of the 122 size in this year's offering, I did last year, but there weren't enough orders.</p>

<p>I ordered last year as well. This year, I will order twice as much, hoping to help meet the minimum order! Spread the word, the more folks who order, the more likely we will meet the minimum. I placed my order with Rob Skeoch of Big Camera Workshops. He was conveniently located for me in southern Ontario. http://www.bigcameraworkshops.com/</p>

<p>I keep hearing about Exeter paper, but have NO luck finding a source or even more information. Google gives me nothing for Exeter paper, and the art supply stores have never heard of it. Can someone give more details/information/a link for ordering?</p>

<p>My order for one 50 foot roll of HP5+, including shipping, was $197.98 from Freestyle. I would have liked to order 100 feet, but the price was pretty terrifying. 50 feet will make about 14 rolls of 6 exposures.<br>

A bummer, since I'd really like something faster than slightly stale Verichrome Pan (which I shoot at EI 100 typically.) Especially for the Panoram No. 3, which only has two shutter speeds and one aperture.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>The ordering period for 2014 is about to open, and the 122 size is again being offered in HP5+. I'll try ordering again. Price is about the same. Maybe I'll even dig deeper and order two? <br>

Because they have to make a 3.625" slice off a whole master roll, there's a minimum number of orders they have to get for roll film. (For sheet film, they'll make as little as one box of a size.)</p>