I've never used medium format, at least not recently enough to remember anything about it. When you have film

developed, how is it packaged for return?

With Ivey going out of business, I'm planning on handling some mail-in E-6 for Seattle-area shooters that no

longer have a local option. As I was working up a price list, I realized that I have no way to package the

resulting film. The only 120 I've done in the past was for local use, and I just rolled it loosely (like 3"

diameter roll) and put each roll in a Zip-lok bag. That won't work too well if I want to mail it back, I'd have

to actually use boxes.

For 35 I can sleeve the slides or put them in the little boxes, either of which will fit in a padded mailer. I

even bought a "negative sleever" so I can cut off strips of four frames for those that want it unmounted for

scanning. (My local supplier only has sleeving for four frames, although the Noritsu sleever I bought can also

handle six - comments on whether or not I should find a source for the wider sleeving are welcome.)

I'm probably not going to do 4x5, at least not unless I have express interest from clients, but I know there are

clear envelopes made for that if it comes up.

But I need to know what customers would expect if they send in medium-format film.

Van

I'd expect clear sleeves - a single sheet per film- which means you might well need to hold separate sleeves for 6x6;645 and 67.

I'd expect the sleeves to be mailed to me in thick card envelopes- I think many labs use a white semi-glossy version . If the quantity exceeded say 8 films then I'd expect a box- though an empty paper box rather than something new.

I'd expect a signed for, next day, trackable mail service with a compensation option and an option to collect.

The lab I use sleeves my 6X6 negatives in Print File sleeves, then sandwiches the sleeves between two pieces

of corrugated cardboard slightly larger than 8.5X11 and seals the edges with shipping tape. I can't help you with

print shipping because I just get negative processing only.

One comment about cutting: The negative holders for my scanner (Microtek Artixscan 1800f) handle a maximum

of three negatives per strip. A strip of four negatives means I have to do some additional cutting. Of course, for

those scanners with holders requiring cutting out individual negatives, it makes no difference....

Hi, I have gotten the film back in several ways: 1) whole roll sleeved and rolled up and put in a tube or small box or wrapped around a cylinder of foam, 2) sleeved and then cut into strips and put into an envelope. The third way is to cut into strips and put into pages. Flat, of course is easier to mail in a photo mailer. Just look at some labs online to see what they offer.

Jon

Thanks, I'll get some of the Print File sleeves on the way, then get serious about exploring all options if I start getting any volume in 6cm film.

Yes, I have E-6 running here, although it's still rotary-tube at the moment. I've been cleaning out the Noritsu processor and expect to get it wired and plumbed this week. It was working perfectly last fall, and my Fuji tech rep is planning on being here to help work out any startup issues.

David, I like the idea of the pages better than individual sleeves, no matter how careful I am, the less I handle the film the less possibility for damaging it. ... and ...

I will be happy to spend as much of the clients' money on delivery services as they want, but I really expect that my market will be that area that can be served overnight with first class or Priority mail. Overnight from here to Portland for the film from one roll would cost $1.17 via first class, $4.85 via Priority, and $25 or so via Fed Ex. The USPS very rarely loses mail that is properly addressed and reasonably packaged, and I only send mail when the address is verified with their system - my system doesn't know how to print the postage until it has a valid address.

William, I was referring to 35mm when I mentioned sleeving in strips. In that format, Artixscan has a 6-frame carrier but can only scan three positions before you turn the carrier around. I expected those who used that system might have a strong preference for 6 vs 4 images per strip.

Jon, I'll keep my eyes open, but I can't say that I've ever seen a processor delineate their packaging on their website!

Van