Canon Unveils Products to Simplify Sharing Your Photos
Today, Canon announced a handful of of products that all have a mission: to make it incredibly easy to share your photos quickly and easily anywhere and everywhere. Ranging from the PowerShot N with a Facebook share button to a Pixma printer with an app that allows you to print photos from the Cloud, Canon is aiming to keep you as connected as possible. These products were announced at the new Canon HQ in Melville, so we were able to play with them a bit.
All but the SX170 have built in Wi-Fi technology, which allows you to wirelessly transfer your photos and videos through Canon image Gateway to your computer. Forgot your memory card? Not a problem. You’ll also be able to upload to popular social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, etc. using the free CameraWindow app. All new PowerShot models also have improved AF time.
- Similar controls to those on a Canon EOS DSLR
- Compatible with Canon Speedlite
- Continuous shooting speed of 9.3 frames-per-second
- Full HD video
- Features Star Mode to shoot the night sky: Star Nightscape, Star Trails, and Star Timelapse movie
- HDR Scene Mode
- 28-140mm wide-angle lens
- Aperture range of f/1.8 – f/2.8 for a sharp subject with a soft background
- October 2013 release date and estimated retail price of $549.99
- Continuous shooting speed of 12.1 frames-per-second
- Full HD video
- Features Star Mode and Background Defocus mode
- Smart Auto Technology with 58 pre-defined scenes
- 24-120 extra wide-angle lens
- Aperture range of f/1.8 – f/5.7
- October 2013 release date and estimated retail price of $449.99
- Very cool Zoom Framing Assist feature (a button on the barrel of the lens) uses face recognition to track and capture subjects (you won’t lose them when you zoom in)
- Full HD video
- Intelligent IS technology (for better image stabilization)
- 30x zoom with 24mm wide-angle lens
- September 2013 release date and estimated retail price of $249.99
- Smart AUTO technology automatically selects optimal settings from 32 predefined situations
- Now with a lithium battery and a reduced footprint, making this an even more compact camera
- 720p HD video
- 16x zoom with 28mm wide-angle lens
- September 2013 release date and estimated retail price of $179.99
Powershot N Facebook Ready
- Includes a Facebook button that allows you to upload directly to Facebook
- Face ID system recognizes and focuses on familiar faces
- Photographer can comment on images uploaded directly to Facebook from camera
- Funky, fun square shape
- Creative mode that instantly applies 5 different filters to a photo as you shoot (very Instagram-like)
- Tilt-touch LCD that allows for shooting at unique angles
- Full HD video
- Intelligent IS system
- 8x zoom with 28mm wide-angle lens
- September 2013 release date and estimated retail price of $299.99, though only through the Canon Direct online store
If you are a Facebook addict, this will definitely be your dream camera.
For more information on these cameras, click here
The big Pixma news is actually surrounding the Cloud-based Pixma Printing Solutions App (available in the iTunes store), which is a way to wirelessly print your photos from a mobile device or tablet from almost anywhere. You’ll then be able to print directly from Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, Picasa, Evernote, Photobucket, and of course Canon iMage Gateway. The ultimate goal is to keep memories preserved and bring back the thrill of prints by making it super easy for people to print their favorite photos. As a rep from Canon said yesterday, it is “bringing print forward to modern life.” Both of these printers have an Intelligent Touch System keeps the printer very clean looking, only lighting up the options you need.
- 3.5 inch LCD touchscreen
- A hybrid ink system of six individual ink tanks.
- Available with an estimated retail price of $199.99
- Comes in white, black, brown, and red
- 2.5 LCD screen
- A 5 color hybrid ink system
- Available with an estimated retail price of $149.99
- Comes in white or black
For more information on these printers, click here.
New lens announcement
Last, but not least, there was also a new lens announced as well, specifically aimed at photographers who also capture video on their EOS 70D, EOS Rebel SL1 and EOS Rebel T5i Digital SLR cameras. The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM telephoto zoom lens is the next in Canon’s line of Stepping Motor lenses (STM). These lenses have reduced motor noise for better video recording. This lens is scheduled to release in late September with a retail price of $349.99.
For more information, click here.