Please take a look and comment

david_graham1

I took up photography again about a year ago when I discovered

digital. I have just completed a course of Portrait Photography and

would appreciate some valid comments. These were not forthcoming on

the course. The project was to photograph in the style of a

particular photographer and I chose David Bailey.<p>

<a href="http://www.photobox.co.uk/public/customer.html?

customer=256257">

Portfolio</a><p>

Hi David. I always associate David Bailey with his work with 60s waifs like Penelope Tree and Twiggy, his square format TLR, tilted horizons and location shooting. If you were shooting film, I would add a disclaimer to the effect of withholding comment on the tonality of the scanned images, but since you're shooting digital, I suppose these are the final images, in which case, I see a lot of chalk and soot tonality with very little in between. I don't shoot digital so I'm afraid I can offer no practical advice regarding improving the tonality of your portraits. I think the young woman featured in a few of your shots has a beautiful face. You'll have to decide for yourself wether or not any of my comments are valid. How about posting some of your work done in your own style?

Yeah, you've lost a lot of detail in the black clothing. Clothing texture is sort of vital in this kind of photography. Try playing with the contrast. It's digital, so to guide you further would require knowing what software you're using.

Compositionally, you've got some very powerful examples. You understanding of lighting seems decent for a beginner -- you know how to capture properly delineated shadows, but you need to start worrying about overall exposure as well as picking your primary zones (to borrow a term from a system I don't adhere to).

I am unfamiliar with the Bailey's work. I happily thank you for bringing him to my attention.

Ask specific questions and I'll try to give specific answers. Fair warning though, I've got about as much experience as you do, only it's all chemical, not digital.

IMHO - Excellent subject posing, expressions, timing... cropping needs some work, you consistantly chop the tops of peoples heads off, which wouldn't be as noticable if the focal point of the shot was more centered. Tight cropping and high contrast are good tools used judicously. Visual centering tends to hide other crop outs.

Watch the hands to the face, they sometimes disrupt the flow of the visual, in the photo of the girl with parka it works. I'm not sure about her other shot though, I would have emphasised her eyes instead. With the hair framing the face you are naturally draw to the eyes, but the hands and cheek distortion draw you away.

I like the way you've captured the interplay of the couples. Nicely done.

Overall - be proud you've done well

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I really love these photos, especially the one titled 3112no3, not only is the model striking but the picture looks great too. I would love to know how to produce a picture like this. Can you perhaps give some hints about lighting and exposure to produce this sort of tonality? I would ideally like to produce some similar portraits of my wife and sisters in law for my mother in law's birthday using window light, is this feasible?

Will