How Reliable Are The (Used) Nikon F3 HP's?

louie_caracas1

Hello, All.

I did search the archives, but couldn't find any answers. If this

question had been asked before, pardon my asking it again. How

RELIABLE are the current F3 HP's out there available used,

considering its age of 22 plus years. The reason I am asking is, I

saw a MINTY one in a camera shop for $757.00 tax included. Are they

still worth the money in spite of their age?

Thanks a lot.

Louie Caracas

They are a beautifully built camera to begin with. Even the older Fs and F2s are still going strong today, many without needing any adjustment. Or at least the users don't see a need for it.

I'm perfectly happy with my used F3HP. Not only is it built like a Panzer tank but has pretty much everything you could want on a 35mm camera.

Louie:

For many, including me, the Nikon F3HP or F3 non-HP (the difference is just the viewfinder) is definitely one of the best 35mm cameras ever made for many reasons, but the main one is probably its great level of reliability, it is built to last. I highly recommend it. This camera is still available NEW, and it sells for US$1430.00 at B&H Photo Video in NYC (www.bhphotovideo.com).

They have USED ones at KEH Photo in "excellent" condition for US$415.00 (www.keh.com).

The Nikon F3 is a very reliable camera body despite being 22 years in

use, built when quality and reliabily were foremost consideration in minds of

Nikons engineers, look for a clean used one which has not been used as a hockey puck, have it cleaned, lubed and adjusted, get some film, have fun, let the pixels fall where they may.

If Nikon today still made all their current film and digital SLRs the way they made the F3,

they would go bankrupt very soon because no one would need to buy new cameras (other

than those who always chase the lastest specs) because their Nikons would refuse to break

down.

My F3 (not HP) was bought second hand around 1988 and still going strong even after a

few mishaps (dropping it on concrete, etc.). It's still ticking today, rain or shine.

$757 for a used F3 is only half as comically outrageous as $1400 for a new one (officially discontinued more than a year ago and production probably ceased 5 years ago). I wouldn't pay more than $450 for an F3HP. KEH's EXC is about equal to most places' mint minus, and EXC+ is what other dealers call mint. Worst-case if after a couple years it needs service (which it probably won't, and probably you'll be all digital by then along with everyone else), and it costs you $250 you'll still be $57 ahead

Louie,<p>There are some things that do deteriorate on an F3, but they are easily repaired, and will go bad on any camera. Namely, the foam seals around the film chamber, and for the mirror. I had mine for 20 years, and got it serviced 1 year ago. It was perfect, and now is perfect again. I still have the original LCD even though the instruction manual said to change it every 5 years. In fact, I still have the original grain of wheat bulb that lights up the prism (via the infamous red dot switch), although that one is getting a little dim now. I plan to get another big service from Nikon in 8-9 years, just because parts will still be available at that time. That will take me out to 30 years of service since the orginal purchase date. Then, I'll just patch it up as it needs parts. That should last me the rest of my life. Then I can will it to my family, and my descendants can keep it going for the next 100 years. Just how long do you want your camera to last?<p>I'm not being facetious. These older cameras are VERY well built. My father in law is still shooting with two Leica M3s from the 1950's to 1960 vintage. 50 years and still going strong. I think the F3 can do just as well. Just look at all the Nikon F and F2s still punching out pictures today.

Hello, All.

Thank you for all the informative answers and advice you gave me regarding an F3 HP. The F3 that I have seen at the store was really clean and looked almost brand new--except the price was for me a bit high.

I would be looking around for one that is within my budget, probably $450.00 as Jay had suggested.

As always, thanks to everyone.

May the FORCE be with you all. :-)

Louie Caracas

I just recently bought an old (about 1982) F-3 (non-HP). It has several marks on it's body, indicating that life wasn't very sweet to it. Anyway everythings works on the camera, perfectly.

I bought mine for 200USD, what can indicate the condition of the camera. Here in Brazil the cameras are much more expensive than in US, so one must take this in consideration too.

A great camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two F3 bodies I bought used - an F3hp in black and a F3/T, same camera in titanium. The black one was 9.9 (10 = new camera, never used) and the F3/T was about 9.5 on the outside and both were 9.9 on the inside except for minor dust accumulation in the prism of the F3/T. Both have performed flawlessly.

I had a mishap with the F3/T which revealed to me how tough this camera is. I was photographing on a beach at Lake Superior (MN) which was covered with smooth round cobbles about the size of ostrich eggs. I was changing lenses, bent over my camera bag; when I stood up to put the camera on the tripod, I had stepped on the strap; when I hit the end of the slack in the strap, the camera was yanked out of my hand and slammed into the cobbles prism first. I picked it up, expecting the worst (shattered prism). To my astonishment, the only damage was three small shiny spots on the prism housing where the impact on the stones had burnished the titanium. I continued photographing with no problems!

IMHO, if you buy a used F3 and find that it needs work, there are places you can send it to get worked on and have an excellent camera in good working order afterword. Look more at the inside of the camera than the outside; look at the film rails, the pressure plate, the opening for the shutter curtain and especially the shutter curtain. Dust in the prism is a fact of life for an F3 - they have been around for a number of years, and you won't see the dust on your negs. Check the mirror lock-up to make sure it works smoothly.

The F3 is one tough camera; it is one of the greatest SLRs ever made. If you can find a nice clean one, or a good average one, get it while you can. I can't see how you could go wrong with this camera.

• 15 years later...
I recently picked up a “minty” condition F3. I’ve only burned half a dozen rolls through it. My initial observation is that it is VERY well designed and made. I am expecting it to outlast me.

Is there any particular reason why you dig up another 10+ year old thread on the F3 every few months to post a photo of what seems to be the same camera?

I think by now we all know that the F3 is a great camera with a metering system and meter display that some like and some don't. The camera works great as long as the batteries are good(then you only have a single speed), the film advance is butter smooth, it's a personal preference as to whether you like the standard or HP display, etc, etc

In the mean time, I certainly hope that the lens mounted on your camera has been AI converted-I can't tell if it's had the aperture ring filed from the photo. If not, you're risking damaging the AI coupling tab without flipping it up before mounting a non-AI lens.

• Like 1