Nikon D100 - Yours kit recomendation.....

krucha

I'm going to buy Nikon D100 (that's what I know). Why? I want to

practise taking photos and I can't afford to do it on 35mm film (to

expensive for me :P ). I have about 2000$. I think the camera in

Honk Kong is going to cost about 1100$. So I still have about a

thousand for the rest to buy there. What should I buy? Could you

recommend me some lens (what kind, how many,- these lens should also

be compatible with e.g. FM3A couse I also need to buy a camera

without electronics and would like to use the same stuff) and other

equipment (what kind of microdrive and how big; camera flash etc.)

so I could have wide range of possibilities when practising. Of

course it all shouldn't cost more than a thousand. Thaks for all

advice.

1. I meant USD. 2. 35mm is too expensive if you want to take lots of photos and the second thing is easyness of sending it worldwide what is also importanat for me. I have to pay about 7$ for film and processing so I could do about 200 films about 7000 photos it's many but what next?

Lens purchase highly depends on your photography subject matter. Not knowing that, it is pretty much impossible for anybody to make good suggetions. I can make bad suggestions, however. :-)

Keep in mind that because of the smaller sensor, the same lens is going to work differently on your up-coming D100 and existing FM3A. A 35mm is a modest wide angle on the FM3A but more like a "standard" lens on the D100. I world around the difference by using zooms, but even that the angle of view will be different on the bodies.

A versatile lens would be something like Nikon's 24-120, but I know someone will hop in and say that the lens rots. It doesn't rot, even if it isn't quite the same as some of the expensive pro glass. Doesn't go quite as wide as I'd like on the D100, though. Don't forget to budge for memory cards; you'll want plenty of storage for images.

Oh, sorry to tell you that a D100 in Hong Kong is around USD$1400, not significantly lower than US price. you don't 've to deal /w any tax thought.

If you want to buy things that are significantly cheaper in HK.... you can looks for lens, CF tripods, film SLR, P&S digital cameras etc, but not DSLR.

I didn't write what I'm going to photo cause it's not an easy answer.

In July I'm going to go on a trip (about 3 months or more) and want to do reportage from the road, starting with people, their customs but also mountains, steppes and so on. That's why I'm not so sure what to choose.

"Janus Javier , jan 06, 2004; 12:42 p.m.

Related question...I have a new D100 as well...will the 50/1.8 (or 1.4) work as a good portrait lens on the D100? That would be an effective 75mm."

Yes they are a fantastic portrait lens on the D100, even better then a 35mm body. I have the nikor 50mm f/1.8 and it takes fantastic photos. Probably more clearly then any other lens nikon makes, and its only $90. Its effective range is somewhere around 75mm which is pretty good... I personally prefer my Sigma EX 70-200 f2.8 for portrait work (granted there is enough room).

• 4 weeks later...