solution. My requirements dictate that the camera be used in cold

weather. Probably around freezing point, but not it is raining or

snowing. However, snow, alpine, high alititude, etc conditions are

likely.

Main question. Would a focal plane shutter camera (say from a 2000FC/W

or FC/M, or a 201F) be more reliable with a F/FE lens than say a leaf

shutter lens/camera? (Like a 501CM, etc). Your thoughts and

experiences are much appreciated.

Around freezing point is not very cold to us in Norway;)

I have used 500 C/M, 2003 FCW and 203 FE in very cold weather (-20 C and below) and have not experienced any problems. The only disadvantage is that the batteries on the 203 (not the 2003) run out very quickly because of the light-meetering function. This winter I have had to change batteries twice in this camera. In 2000 and 201 this should not be a problem.

I would agree that you want a mechanical shutter , not electronic shutter in the cold, as batterys are the big problem. I had a 645 years ago that the battery died and shutter stopped every time the camera got cold. I have had no problems with my CM or ELMs for that matter in the cold.

If you mean 0 degree centigrade by saying "freezing point", there is no problem of both center shutter and plane shutter. The problem will take place when the temperature drops to -25 degree centigrade and below with my the Hassy leaf shutters. The limit of the plane shutter depends on how far the batteries goes.

So it seems that all the Blads will work well down to 0 °C (freezing point), however, below that, it is a function of either: battery failure or mechanical seizure (due to lubricants and other mechanical components 'freezing').

One item I considered was the external battery pack for the 2x series cameras. However, the question thus goes back to a mechanical one, in that, how far and/or reliable is the 2x (that is, 200x and 20x series) camera in low temperature *given* that the battery works?

Thanks for all your responses.

I did not use 2XX in winter season. I can just confirm that the 5XX works well above -25 C. For your refrence, one of my friends have been shooting with his Pentax 67 which has a bettery powered plane shutter in very cold weather for many years. The tepm sometime drops to -40 C.

No problem using the 203FE in cold (-20 degree) weather. I prefer to use the focal plane shutter at temp. below -15 or so because I think it is more accurate. As far as batteries go, I have never had a problem, but I do plan ahead. I go out with two sets of fresh batteries (one in the camera, and one in my inner coat pocket). If the camera battery fails to perform due to the cold temp., I simply replace it with the fresh (warm) one, and put the cold one in my pocket. You can shoot a lot of film this way. I have an external battery pack for my 203, but I rarely use it, and actually prefer the two battery set-up (less bulk, and the camera is not attached to a cord). Really, the biggest problem at -25 or so is the focus rings get pretty stiff (but you can get winter lube for that).