Nikon D100 - the price in Honk Kong???

krucha

Recently I decided to buy Nikon D100 and because my friend is going

to Honk Kong I found it good idea to do it there. But I don't know

what is reasonable price for it there (is it cheapest than in USA)?

Do you know any online shop or page when I can check the price?

What should my friend look ecpecialy buying a camera there?

Thanks.

Two things on the downside:

1. The sales receipt will be in your friend's name. This will (may) be a factor in getting any service done under warranty.

2. Hopefully, the menu system will be 'E' for English or is your language of choice Japanese (or Chinese?)

(Also, the shops in Hong Kong have 'Internet' access and the prices will be close to way you might up paying close to home.)

Ad.1 The name on the receipt is not a problem.

Ad.2 English is the language of my choice so how can he checks it??

And I presume there is no problem with getting an international (for me its Europe) guarantee??

The 'name on the receipt' has to match the person's I.D. putting the camera into the que for warranty work (international or Nikon USA policy, it seems.) Yes, you may get a international warranty, but the camera may have to go back to Hong Kong or Japan for service.

As for the English menu - your friend would have to verify the camera's set-up before buying it.

Long ago Hong Kong was the best place to buy all kinds of gear (remember cheap handmade suits anyone?) at low prices, but those days are waaay over. I went there a few (too many) years ago holding an ad from a NYC store in my hand and their prices were higher, and the exchange rate was an additional expense. Plus I checked every "duty free" shop in the airports from here to there and their prices were even worse! Unfortunately, I was already there, so I ended up buying my first Nikon (a N2000) there, paid a bit too much. My advice: Buy anything but prescription drugs in the good ol' USA!

Hi I live in Hong Kong. First of all, it's not easy to check price via web in HK. HK is a city so tiny that we don't bother going to a physical store to try and buy things.

Those you can access in internet are for foreigners, so that price ain't really HK price.

A D100 isn't really significantly cheaper in HK compare to price i JUST saw in Adorama. Considered the shipping and sales tax in US, for example...in NYC (where my girlfriend lives), almost 9%, HK price is around 15% lower than US price.

IF there's double rebate like in Christmas, US price might be slighter cheaper than HK price. At least, i found SB50-DX was a bit cheaper in US than HK during last christmas.

Don't go to shops that claims "duty free", "duty free shops" is merely a joke here (except a few stuffs like alcocholic drinks). We don't 've sales tax in HK. All shops are "duty free". Shops marking "duty free" are for tourists ONLY. Very likely that they'll rip you off.

Seems to me that Nikon lens and film body in HK are cheaper in HK than in US. I found some items are around 20% lower than US grey market price after sales tax.

for the menu... i'm very sure that Most, if not all, menus for electronic devices selling in HK can be switch to English. You might get a chinese or japanese manual. All text imprinted on camera body are in English.

Btw, we RARELY put name in recipts here.

Have been working in Hong Kong for some years and so I think I can humbly say that

everything Wilfred said is right.

Anyway, I guess the point what Wilfred's trying to make in his first line is "HK is a city

so tiny that we have no reasons for not going to a physical store to try and buy

things". Online shopping in Hong Kong targets at the service sector, eg

membership renewal and magazine subscription, but not expensive things like a

camera. Wilfred I hope I haven't twisted your point :)

There are always good and bad shops, it's the same all over the world, and here in

Hong Kong, ironically the single most significant signage to tell you "I'm bad" could

be that "TAX-FREE" banner, which may actually be as good as a landmine with a

marking (!) I'm not saying that all shops with such a banner is bad, but you have an

idea.

Hong Kong is a tax-free city, like Andorra between France and Spain. TAX-FREE

airport shops are of a different culture -- they are tax-free for the few

excisible commodities like alcohol and tobacco. They are honest, and they tell you

they're tax- free to make you feel at home. If someone finds that they sell camera at a

bad price, I would say it's a bad idea to rush for a camera before you board a plane,

again it's the same all over the world.

As far as I know, authorised Nikon dealers in Hong Kong do issue worldwide

warranty, but I don't know whether Nikon USA would endorse it; in this regard, I know

how fussy Nikon USA is. They have their reasons to do so and we are not up to

critisizing them. I buy used gears, and I got acquainted with some nice gentlemen to

take care of them in here; but if US warranty is a concern, it may not be a good idea

to buy outside USA.

<and the exchange rate was an additional expense>

I don't see the reasoning behind this statement. USD and HKD is pegged by a fixed

rate for some 20 years.

<Unfortunately, I was already there, so I ended up buying my first Nikon (a N2000)

there, paid a bit too much.>

You shouldn't buy anything just because you're already there, you only buy when you

feel comfortable to. If you find the world is hostile to you, you can always buy at

home.

I'd like to remind everybody that Michal Kruszewski, who asked the original question, lives in Europe (apparently Poland), where Nikon products tend to be a lot more expensive. He is comparing savings between buying in Hong Kong and in Europe. US prices at B&H or Adorama are not really in play is this case.

English is commonly used in Hong Kong so that I am pretty sure their D100's menu has English. Otherwise, you just need to learn Chinese as I did as a kid. :-)

I've no idea how camera stuffs in Europe cost. So i 'assume' they similar to US price.

I think Shun's right, if he live in European countries, then buying in HK is still cheaper. With higher and higher exchange rate of european currencies against USD( HKD 've a fixed exchange rate to USD), i'm sure that he can get a D100 way cheaper then he can get in Europe.

Roland, you got most of my poinst right.... but i gotta tell you some fact, we don't even do magazine subscription on internet. I think the most popular web with transaction in HK are online banking (for lazy people like me). Most web here are just for product/contact information. (You won't even be able to get price list via web)

Thanks Shun for reminding. See, I'm still learning by the day :)

Welcome Michal. Street price for most Nikon products is

comparable to the US web price. The default menu for officially

imported items is English. Just check to make sure the

worldwide warranty is good for your home country. Shopping in

Hong Kong has an extra advantage -- given the big turnover

volume, shops usually stock the most updated versions of

everything.

Wilfred, ebay and paypal are my only online shopping and

banking, heehee. My wife books squash court sessions online,

and she just booked a slot to renew the SmartID card :)

Interestingly we can add a Canon digital camera (sorry, Nikon

fans ...) from the Apple Store as an "accessory" if we order a

Macintosh online, and centralfield.com does have an update and

comprehensive price list for most popular computer gadgets.

We can custom build a PC online with them too, but I prefer

jamming into the always festive Golden Shopping Centre for the

most trivial shopping, like a pack of photo-quality inkjet paper :)

Hey Roland, sounds that you'r still living in HK. and more, seems to me that you know more about HongKong's web more then I do! I don't even know centralfield.com (i know their physical store, but i now rarely go to computer centers after I work with computers since graduated....)

Although I use and love Nikon gear, I 'm not bonded into any brand. I use Canon digtal P&S (the old G2 and S50) and filmscan(but not too happy with it), as well as other brands too.

Alright, back to Michal's question. If you really want to look for camera stuffs in HK and want some info, I can recommand some shops that i considered "reliable".

I bet Roland could help too.

First of all, Europe consists of many countries and their living standards vary. Countries such as Swisserland and Norway are known to be very expensive; I have been to both and know first hand.

Recently I was reading a British photo magazine. In their advertistments, the prices listed for some Canon and Nikon gear have similar numbers as those in the US, but they are in British Pound. For example, the Nikon D100 may be $1500 in New York but 1500 Pounds in London. The US $ has dropped a lot recently and today, 1 Pound = US$1.82. In other words, for a European, buying in Hong Kong or the US can mean huge savings.

Thank's Shun I do actually live in Poland and here the price of the D100 body only is more then 2200USD (in the shop) so I presume in HK it may be 40% less.

And I don't think I'm able to learn Chinese (I've been to China and I found it almost impossible ;ppp )

Wilfred I'd be grateful for recommending some shops with resonable price and trushtworth.

I believe Wilfred is in a better position to recommend shops :) I seldom buy new but I

guess shops along Stanley St in the Central District should be a good place to start.

<I don't think I'm able to learn Chinese (I've been to China and I found it almost

impossible ;ppp )>

... so to quote Shun in another thread : you guys didn't learn Chinese when you were

kids ? :-) Michal, it's never too late to start. Happy shopping. Wilfred, yes, I'm still in

here, and you may find me staring at the used Nikon stuffs in the Champagne Arcade.

Oh, talking about camera price in Europe relating to living standard.... I went to a camera shop when I was in Prague, I found a F80 in a price that I really can't belive.... my friends and I calculated for several times (converted first to USD then to HKD) .... and found that the price is MULTIPAL of price in HK. (maybe i can sell my gears there and earn a free trip to europe!)

I wounder how people there can afford photography.

I'll get some address of camera shops that i think they'r reliable later (maybe some comments too, some shops are credit card friendly, offer good price, wide range of products, reliable but salespersonS are not friendly.....).

maybe you'll find the follwing link useful

http://www.centamap.com/cent/index.htm

u can switch to english... look for "english" on the upper left corner.

before I can give u the contact of those camera shops..u can try this first...the only one that they 've web. but Don't look at the used itmes on the web....u'll find nothing on the web.

http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/index.php

This shop is especially good for CF tripod/ head... i got all those things there.

The Stanley street mentioned by Roland is a place to go too.

Roland, if you Champagne Arcade, i'm quite sure that you use a lot of manual or film stuffs...I go there quite often too! my workplace 's just 20 min walking from that.

Mic, when u(or your friend??)'ll come to Hong Kong? If within a mth, I better give u those info before I leave HK next Wed... i'm going to 've a 1/2 month vacation!(yeah!)

OK, there's the shops info.

Wing Shing Photo Supplies

G/F, 55-57 Sai Yeung Choi St., Mongkok (MTR Mongkok D3 exit)

note: big and famous (and busy) shop here in HK, can use credit cards without additional charges, camera/lens are generally in good price. NO grey market products. Sales persons are UN-friendly!!!

Tin Cheung Camera

G26-G28 Tung Ying Bldg, 100 Nathan Rd. T.S.T

note: most items are in good price. charge 3% for credit card, sells new and old and also grey market products. Great for tripod/head.

Champagne Arcade is nearby... many used items there.

Coxwell

1/F, Wan Chai Computer Center, Wan Chai (very close to MTR station)

note: SUPER TINY shop ('ve larger shops in other areas.... but duno the address). Items maybe not be shown there, but can ask them. Many items are in good price. (i've never shop there, but my dad shop a LOT there, so should be reliable)

Michal, if warranty is not an issue and grey market is in your

mind, there is an interesting term to note : gery market import is

nicknamed as "water product " in here, as understood from the

conversation in Cantonese. It's a very colloquial term and so

Wilfred please advise whether it is appropriate to quote this in

English :)

And I guess while some sales persons may be unfriendly, it is

just because they may start to lose a bit of their poise at a busy

moment in a busy day -- imagine a twenty-something young man

being asked for a quote while demonstrating to 2 customers and

at the same time waiting for his co-worker validating a credit card

of a done deal, and you get an idea. That's exactly what I

experienced when I bought a tripod. I got a fair deal anyway, and

I'm happy with it.

Well, somehow we have to learn to deal with busy sales people

in here -- first-come-first-serve is their way to work but they may

not have the resources to greet you, and so you have to make

yourself noticed in the first place. And there are always more

impatient shoppers who try to jump the abstract queue. Hope

this helps :)

Yes, in Cantonese, grey market is called "water product", i'm not quite sure how general HK ppl feel towards "grey market"... most of them might guess those are "defective itmes" (most HK people are very poor in "living english"). Anyway, if you'r not living in HK, buy whatever products are "water products". You won't fly to HK for repair works.

OK, about the abstract queue... One thing you'll get served sooner is... ask a qoute for a pricy item. They'r more likly to response quickly to one looking for DSLR than one looking for a 2MP compact digital camera!!

If you are not careful, I have found that some unsavory camera shops may sometimes take accessory items out of the grey market item box and then try to sell them back to you separately. The reputable shops listed in this thread are generally honest. Just remember to check everything before you leave the store because there is no return policy like there is in the USA.

I'm British, but working in Hong Kong at the moment, & I've been to Wing Shing this morning. Prices seem to vary, but generally are 25 - 50% below the best UK web prices. I bought a tripod at 45% below UK price, and a 4mp p&s as a pocket camera for about 30% under UK. It has a worldwide warranty, which may or may not prove to be useful in the UK, but the saving makes the risk worthwhile. Some items though weren't worth it - I was after an AF-D 12-24mm for my D100 but the differntial (about £50 / US$90) wasn't big enough to make the warranty risk worthwhile.

Follow the advice already given, and make sure you know the 'home' prices before you buy - don't assume everything's cheap because on item is.

For many years, the official importer of Nikon equipment to Hong Kong was Shereo H.K, but I understand it is now Nikon Hong Kong. As long as the item comes with the official international warranty from Nikon Hong Kong and you keep your receipt, it shouldn't be a problem. You can verify with the store that it is not gray, or "water" product in Hong Kong terminology.

You can always contact Nikon H.K. to double check how the official warranty card looks like. (I think they are in Taikoo Shing, on the eastern side of Hong Kong Island.)

Nikon Hong Kong can be reached at +852 2882 3936, cust service +852 2902 9000.

Address : Suite 1001, 10/F, CityPlaza One, 1111 King's Road, Taikoo Shing, HK -

Tube stn : Taikoo, exit D/E

Just visited Wing Shing yesterday (Sat), busy and crowded as usual, and I were assured

they don't sell grey market. The parent shop Man Shing is on the next street on the

other side of the main road (Argyle St I suppose) that is just half as big, but stocks

more Leica stuff.

The Broadway Photo Supplies is also a chain store to go for mass-market gadgets.

There are a few dozens of similar shops along the few streets (similar looking shops

with varying reputation ...). Take care to differentiate. Happy shopping :)