RD-1 News

Alex_Es

Just back from Tokyo. Had little time as I was busy (adjunct prof. on

a Ph.D. committee) but did see and fondle my first RD-1 at BIC Camera

in Yuraku-cho. It's light and has a big and bright finder. It was

going for 312,000 yen with tax. I didn't buy it. Am waiting for a

better price and debugsing (if necessary).

Other news. August Nippon Camera reports that Cosina / Voigtlander

is going to sell special external finders for the RD-1: 18 (12), 23

(15), 32 (21), 38 (25). They'll be listing for 20,000 a pop.

Haven't seen RD-1s in Kobe or Osaka yet. Heard they'll be there in

August.

Good thinking, Alex. I am still not sold to a changeable lens digital body. With film, you brush the back once in a while to prevent dust. But how the heck you are going to prevent dust on that still-sitting CCD? Yeah, some will say go have a service once in a while, but shoot, you can spend that money on some films, can you?

Still too early in the morning to start PN so maybe I just need some coffee to chill out. Don't mean to start a war of film vs. digital. Sorry for the hijack of the thread, Alex. My apology.

Here are some photos taken with the camera. Sorry about the cut and paste link.

https://myepson.i-love-epson.co.jp/myepson/servlet/epg/gallery/PG-GL061.jsp

There is also a link for more tech info photos on the camera itself somewhere in there if you poke and click. Or if you & your computer read Japanese.

Film digital whatever. I am just disappointed that my 28mm f2 would become a 42mm - if math serves me which it often doesn't. But I guess this will sell out the VC super wides that have been loitering in camera shops too long.

Yes, dust can be a problem ( I use a 10D ), but blowing a little bit of clean air is usually

enough to get rid of it. I admit you usually realize after you have taken a few pictures that

will need a little photoshop...<br>

Anyway, thanks a lot for the info, especially that the price is already cheaper than I had

expected ;-))<br>

Lenny<br>

<a href="http://afimage.com">AFimage.com</a>

DSLR's do have the mirror to block some dust from getting on the chip, and CMOSes don't attract dust quite as hungrily as CCD's...nonetheless the issue is surely not an insurmountable one especially for a camera fetching $3000 (or probably twice that in the case of the future Leica product). The Nikon F4 has a "windshield wiper" that cleans the AF sensor, I forget if it's at power-up or when a lens with a CPU indexes to the body, and that was 1988 technology.

However, as I stated before, unless a real distributor (not just a dealer importing for their own shop)and a factory-authorized-trained service facility *and* telephone tech support is in place in the US, I would be reticent about forking over the $$$$$ for an RD-1 *unless* Leica backs out on their digital M project and the RD-1 ends up the only way to get use out of my M lenses once all my preferred film emulsions have been discontinued.

I thought that the shutter mechanism was the same in the RD-1 as in the Bessa R and R2.

If so, there are always two shutters between the outside world and the sensor-- the outer,

18% grey one, and the actual timing shutter. The sensor should stay relatively dust-free,

given all that protection.

Word has been US distribution is being handled by Epson, which is a big name in the US, so I don't think one needs to worry about it being an 'odd import product' or any junk like that. Also, as Epson is handling it, Gandy isn't. This explains the quick removal of RD-1 info he posted way back, and the now complete lack of info on it at his site.