135mm f/4 elmar

bob___10

Yes unless it's one of the rather rare screw mount versions and then it would need a bayonet adaptor. Otherwise as long as it's an M mount it should bring up the correct framelines assuming nobody has fooled with the flange. The Elmar is a totally under rated lens. Sells for like 60% of a Tele-Elmar and has maybe 90% of the performance. I had one way back when, regret ever selling it.

Ben is right. Go for the cheaper Elmar. I traded mine a long time ago for the 135/2.8 with bugeyes. A big mistake. I then got rid of the 135/2.8 and bought a Tele-Elmar 135/4. I should have stayed with the Elmar 135/4.

I have an M5 and the 1.25x magnifier works fine. My M5 has the M6-style eyepiece finder installed (with rubber ring so I don't scratch my eyeglasses), so I don't know if the factory-supplied M5 finder eyepiece has the same thread diameter or pitch to take the 1.25x magnifier. If anyone out there has an M5 with the original M5 eyepiece, maybe they've tried the magnifier and can help out?

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

Bob, to answer your last question. The 35mm frame also throws up a 135mm frame. It is very small and focussing is therefore problematic. The (expensive) magnifier magnifies everything that appears in the viewfinder by 1.25. Thus, the size of the magnified 135mm frame is close to that of the unmagnified 90mm frame.

Incidentally, congratulations on getting the best of all M leica models especially if, like me, you have largish hands. The M5 is a superbly conceived and built camera. Now let's see how much outcry this comment generates from diehards of the smaller body!

Ok, granted the 135mm frame is quite small which makes _composition_ a bit more difficult, but what's this about the 135 lens being harder to focus? The rangefinder rectangle always stays the same size regardless of what lens is in use. If you're talking about the decreased efficiency of the rangefinder with longer lenses, that I get.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got one. It's a great lens...well-balanced on my M3, easy to focus, framelines show

up very nicely. In fact, in terms of weight distribution and balance, it "feels" much lighter

than it really is. As other folks have noted, it's highly underrated. Erwin Puts calls it

"superb."

Ken Frazier