chinees trip lens

sunilarch

Hi all,

I am goin to shanghai for a bussiness trip and planing to take my

300d with me. And for this trip im planning to buy a lens. which

lens is apt within the range of $500.I would like to take landscape

as well as people and closeups. Is 28-135 IS a good choice?

No offence Sunil, but is there any chance at all that you could do some of your own research BEFORE posting questions here?

With the 1.6x crop factor, 28mm = 45mm, not really a wide angle like you would want for landscapes.

Just one of the things you would have found out had you spent a little time thinking about it.

28-135 is not wide enough, Shanghai has many nice looking tall buildings, you should get a 20-35 along with the 28-135, if you buy both lens on Ebay, they will cost you around $600, or you can get the Tamron 19-35 + the 28-135 IS for around $500.

i second the thought of the 20-35. 28-135 is not wide enough for landscape, and you

WILL miss the extra wideness in shanghai. if you have $500 to spend, this is what i would

do, get the 20-35 for around $400 and spend the rest on a 50/1.8. make the 20-35 your

primary lens, and the 50/1.8 when you need the lower light and some thing abit longer.

the reason for the 20-35 and 50 combo is that i would much rather have the wider lens

than the longer lens, and having the 28-135IS doesn't give you the low light that you

might find handy...

I suggest you seriously consider the 17-40mm/f4 L. I know it costs about $650 and is over your budget, but what you get is a 27mm equivalent true wide angle and excellent quality lens. Definitely better than the Tamron/Sigma etc lenses.

BTW, don't forget to bring a tripod with you for the magnificent light show at night of the historical buidlings along the Whampoa river bank.

Sunil,

I think you asked a perfectly appropriate question for this forum. I have never been to

China so I can't comment on that. But I can say you won't be able to shoot everything.

You will need to focus (no pun intended) on what you can photograph with what you take.

It would help to know what focal length you now prefer with your 300D. And what lenses

you now have and how you like them. I am wondering if you really need to buy anything.