bronica beginner courses

claire_levy

i've very generously been given a bronica ETR as a birthday present.

i'm an avid 35mm user and love the medium format, but feel a bit

intimidated by the new apparatus. are there any good intro courses

to medium format in london?

and do any of you have any words of advice for a virgin MF user?

The one great thing about Bronica is the handle accessory that makes the camera operate like a 35mm wind up mechanism. Put that on, and you will feel like you work with a 35mm. Now all you have to do is start shooting just like you would with a 35mm and the qualityu of your prints should be amazingly better. It's not that 35mm and m.f. are different, It's that the quality of the image is better. Continue as before. good luck.

Well congradulations! The Bronica is really not that difficult to use, once you get the hang of it. The hardest part is loading the film backs, otherwise, it is photography pure and simple! Read the manual if you have one. If you dont, you should find one!!! Get a hand held light meter - this is very necessary! As for courses in london, I cant help, but really this camera is nothing to be intimidated by, enjoy it!

When I started with medium format I found loading the film the most difficult thing.

Get a pack of the cheapest film available. (A pro lab might give you a box of outdated film cheap or free.) Practice loading film, moving it to the start point (usually indicated by a red arrow), winding it through the camera (you have to go slower than usual) and removing and sealing up the film.

Remember to fold the paper tab under before sticking down the seal, or it is nearly impossible for the lab tech to find the start of your film roll.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Claire, please do post if you find any details on good courses in London. I am in a similar situation having picked up a new SQAi and having a 35mm background. Perhaps post on the Yahoo Bronica group too which I found and joined at the same time as this one.

Paul