4x5 film holder. Do they all scratch the film?

m_onochrome

It takes getting used to, as someone already said. Here is how I do it. Pull both darkslides out not all the way, take some compressed air, blow inbetween the darkslides, blow each opening of the film holder, and I clean them like this every so often. Then in the dark I pull (not all the way out) one darkslide, hold the holder in my left hand, use my fingers to hold down the flap at the end, and use my right hand to put the film in.

I think that the scratches are coming from your development. I was having scratch issues and I thought it might be the holder because I was being very careful during development. It turns out that I was not being as careful during washing (oops) and that's where the scratches came from.

I can't respond to possible problems with thin holders such as Modo. However,

scratches on the emulsion side of the film are impossible with film properly loaded

into any of the standard Lisco, Fidelity or Riteway holders; there is a small space

between the darkslide and the film.

OTOH if you want to avoid the hassle of dust and loading probblms then use

Quickloads and Redyloads. You will reduce weight, eliminate dust problems and get

rid of the hassle. This does come at an added cost for the film and a reduction in the

number of available emulsions.

At least, get yourself some canned air and blow the holders out... and your

darkslides too. When unloading, I pull the darkslide and gently blow air

holding the film holder at an angle and having my finger ready to grab the film

and the film will seperate from the base of the holder a fraction of an inch. This

is enough to get your finger tip under to grab the film.