I do apologise if I've missed other threads on this subject, I did a

search for "10D focus fixed" and found a ton of posts about the

focusing problems with the 10D. However I've only been able to find

one thread from someone who's actually sent their camera back to be

reclaibrated. Unfortunately, Zap Trax has not been happy with the

results.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005YyV

After much testing and retesting using a tripod and remote shutter

release, I decided that my 10D has a definite focus problem.

Yesterday I reluctantly shipped it back to the Canon New Jersey

facilities to be fixed. Has anyone had their 10D fixed and been

happy with the results? Any horror stories for me to obsess over

until my camera is returned to me? Thanks

Donna, You didn't get specific about what types of focus problems you are having. I have a 10D and would love to hear more. What type of test did you administer to determine the problem? What were the results of the test that led you to beleive there was a problem?

AJM

Pls. tell us more about the exact nature of your problem, and also, if Canon was able to fix it. When I first got my 10D last May, I also was convinced that it had a focus problem. I went back to the store and tested 2 other bodies, but they had the same "problem". What it turned out to be is that the focus sensor area is larger than what is indicated by the red frames. So if you take an image with high contrast small pattern (for example newspaper) and shoot it at a very flat angle, chances are the sensor will pick up something slightly in front of what you think it should based on the viewfinder indicator!

In actually shooting it does not make ANY difference at all (unless you routinely shoot newspapers at flat angles). There may be a few bodies that indeed need to be recalibrated, but I guess 90% of cases of reported "focus problems" are due to above mechanism.

PS You may want to search for Bob Atkin's 10D review and focus test on this website.

I was led to test my 10D when most of my pictures appeared to be focused behind my subjects. I wanted to determine if the fault was mine or the camera's, so I conducted Bob Atkins' focus test(http://www.photo.net/learn/focustest/) with a tripod and a shutter release. Every picture I took, with every lens at every aperture all displayed the same focus problem. The pictures were all focused behind the center line. the numbers behind the line were much more in focus than the numbers in front of the line. I cannot post a photo of the results because I am not using my home computer right now.

Canon has my camera now and I just wondered if anyone has sent their camera to be fixed. Were the results good or just bad? I will let everyone know how my camera performs when it returns from New Jersey.

• 2 months later...
Way long in coming, I know. Please accept my apologies. My camera was returned promptly by Canon and the problem appears to be fixed. I have not found time to conduct the focus tests, however, due to personal problems. If anyone has focus problems with their 10D, Canon seems to be able to fix the problem, the camera appears sharp now.