Choosing a flash for the N2020

eli_szus

A used SB-28DX would be the best in my opinion (Just in case you happen to move on to a Nikon DSLR body, this flash will provide TTL flash metering).

If need something less expensive, used SB-24 is a good bet.

On the lower power side, both SB-23 and SB-22s are cute flashes, lightweight too.

If you want small, light, effective and easy to use, go for the SB-23. Doesn't get any more compact than that. But you only get TTL and full-power manual falsh modes.

If you want all the frills of a bounce+zoom head, TTL, auto, and several manual modes, go for the SB-20. In my opinion the best compromise on function/size nikon ever made (all the others are either too large and heavy, or have too few functions). I had a SB-24 which was simply huge, and ended up never using it at all due to its size!

Both can be bought for around $50 in good, used condition.

The 2020 won't auto-zoom the head, but the SB-22 doesn't zoom at all. I wouldn't consider the zoom head issue at all, it's not that important. The SB-28 is my favorite for use with AF film cameras and manual focus cameras. It's powerful, small and full of features. The SB-25 I had was huge by comparison and it finally died, so I bought another SB-28. Only consider the DX models if you really think digital SLRs are in your near future plans. Otherwise they are just going to cost extra with no benefit.

I'm sure an SB-28 costs more than your camera is worth. I'd go the small and compact route, e.g. the SB-15. This is a great little flash and it does full bounce and swivel. I had one for a while that I got in a big pile of equipment I bought but (stupidly!) let it go.

Eli,</p>

The SB-20 was the Nikon flash designed to complement the N2020 (F-501). It will give you full TTL compatibility, an auto flash mode, variable power manual settings, tilt head capability, coverage down to 28mm, and AF assist. Unlike the pro SB-24/25/26, most used models of the SB-20 have probably only seen light use and can be had rather inexpensively. </p>

You can read more about it here:</br>

<a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf4/flash/sb20/index.htm">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf4/flash/sb20/index.htm</a></p>

Newer flashes (like the SB-28DX and others) will work fine on the N2020, but you will be paying many extra dollars for features you can't (and may never) use. Unless you plan to go digital in the very near future (which I suspect is unlikely given your experience), save your money. The SB-20 will work with <b>ALL</b> current and discontinued Nikon film SLR's except the F/F2/F3 (and it will work on those with an adapter). You can always sell your gear should you decide to upgrade in the future.</p>

Mike

If you want the smallest, lightest, cheapest, the Sunpak 355 is acceptable. $50 and enough power for basic flash needs. It's TTL, too. The SB22s is a great unit for the power, size, and price. TTL, 4 auto modes, and tilt head. $150 new, 1/2 to 2/3 that used. SB-24 is powerful, flexible, and a used one costs what a new SB22s does. It's a handful, admittedly. Not familiar with the SB20, but it is surely suitable. You have to decide what you want to spend first.