Anyone shoot Fashion?

<i>"I am new and looking to start in fashion, I need help learning lighting, business aspects, marketing, you name it, and figured this may be a great place to come for advice."</i><br><br>

Get a subscription to American Photo. All of the big celebrity and fashion photographers give away a lot of their secrets in that magazine.

Jason, if you are serious then at least get an associate's degree in photography at either a community college or art school. After that you should probably move to one of the major cities like New York or LA and try to get a job as an assistant. As with any type of photography, the best way to learn the business is to start at the bottom and assist. You won't be able to get established anywhere by reading a few books, magazines, or websites.

Hey John, I'd like to see a forum strictly for fashion as well. As it stands right now all the forums that have to do with photography are really messed up as far as usability is concerned. As a web developer I might just make a board myself strictly for fashion photography.

There are two ways to make it in fashion. One is to go to school. It's not so much the techniques that you will learn (they aren't that hard to learn on your own), but the contacts you make. If you are good, personable, dedicated, and made good contacts, you may get the opportunity to assist with someone who can provide you with more contacts and more opportunities. But those assisting jobs are few and far between. One of the least utilized degrees is Photography.

The other way to do it is to start out on your own. Teach yourself the techniques and start doing any kind of work you can find locally. Unless you are independently wealthy, your early attempts will be limited more by what you can afford than what you can do. You won't be able to afford good models, good makeup and hair styling, props, or locations. But if you are good and persistent you should be able to work your way up the totem pole.

• 3 years later...