Film choice for Yellowstone scenics

cisko

I'm planning a one-week trip to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone (yes, too

short) in mid-June. I'm primarily interested in landscapes. I'll

mostly be shooting B&W but I also want to use some color film,

primarily for thermal and geologic features within Yellowstone. The

ultimate destination is probably scanning for Iris prints.

The B&W film is probably Delta 100 but I'm wavering on the color film.

Current favorites are either Fuji Reala or Velvia. I'm always happy

with Reala, and it's probably a bit better for scanning. But I'm

thinking that Velvia will emphasize the subtle colors within the

Yellowstone features. (Or, would Velvia just wreck the subtle tones?)

Any opinions on these films -- or others -- would be greatly

appreciated.

One other question -- I was somewhat disappointed last summer in my

photos from the geothermal features at Lassen Volcanic NP. With

features like fumaroles and mud pots, I mostly ended up with photos

that looked suspiciously like pictures of dirt. Any thoughts on useful

techniques to get good images of these dynamic but subtle features?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

There are really only two choices (maybe three) these days: Velvia and Provia 100F. You'll love the velvia colours but may not like its high contrast whereas provia is better in high contrast conditions but less saturated. Sensia is also an option. Shoot both and choose later.

Pete, U.Calgary

I haven't used Reala so I can't comment on it. I think you'd be happy with Velvia or Provia 100F. If you need faster film but want the extra colors, consider Kodak 100VS. It's not as sharp as Velvia or Provia, but is an option.</p>

Re: Lassen, in general the geothermal features there are smaller and less colorful than those at Yellowstone. Bumpass Hell also suffers from being blocked by hills from early morning or late evening sun, meaning you need to shoot in less flattering light.<p>

The image of <a href="http://www.designsinlight.com/cgi-bin/photo_search.cgi?setup_file=photo1.setup.cgi&submit_search=yes&image=CA00-060-31.jpg&display=yes">geothermal features at Lassen</a> that I'm happiest with involved getting low on the boardwalk and relatively close to one of the mudpots, and using a wide angle to show both the mudpot and the general area. I then burned a number of frames to catch the mudpot in action.</p><div>001PEY-4154284.jpg.7af284b075336ebbde905eb96a1ba0d4.jpg</div>

If it were me I would choose Velvia. Take a tripod. As with any photography lighting conditions are key to your success. I seldom find any scene that I like with high contrast lighting. I try to work at sunrise and sunset. You generally get better lighting & fewer people. When trying to cover such a big area in a week you have to take what you can get, and plan on returning.

The range of light in the Teton and Yellowstone landscapes is very, very large. Many people shoot Velvia but the high contrast makes the scenes look stark. Most shadow detail is lost, especially in sunrise and sunset shots.

If you need slides to submit as originals and must have that snap maybe you should use Velvia, but if you're going to be scanning the images and working digitally, I STRONGLY recommend Provia 100F.

It has 1 1/2 f-stops more range and is almost grainless. It is capable of giving you 13"x19" enlargements from 35mm with a high quality scan.

See: www.wyofoto.com for more examples.<div>001PWE-4172384.jpg.47ae356a66b675f7d1533f425f17dc41.jpg</div>

I recommend EliteChrome 100. This is a wonderful film with saturated colours, fine grain and sharpness. Yet, it is not as contrasty as Velvia and easier to use if you are not experienced with the film.

The best film to use is the one you are most experience with. Alas, today we tend to hop from film to film looking for a panacea to our picture problems. The reality is that a photgrapher who knows how to shoot EliteChrome 100 will produce better photos than an ignorant photographer shooting the more expensive, finer grained and sharper, and more hyped Velvia.

Pick a film and learn to use it.

Just returned from a week in Arizona - Sedona, Cathedral Rock area, and 3 days in the bottom of the Big Ditch just as the leaves came out. Talk about contrast! But the velvia did a great job. A few rolls of Kodak E-200 with a polarizer also gave some great images. An 80A can soften contrast. A neutral density helps for slowing water exposures, and a neutral density graduated filter for mountain and bright horizons can be a life saver. I use the E200 when viewing wild-life in low light - it can be pushed one stop to 400 - but you must do the whole roll and be sure to tell your processor to push it one stop when developing. But velvia is my standard scenic choice...always. Have a great trip. Ron

There has been a number of questions on "Best Film for XYZ Location," and people will simply response with their own favorite film. Film preference is very subjective. And with occasional exceptions, I am not sure that my film preference varies that much from one location to another.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Good shooting in GT/Yellowstone, Dave. I'm planning my first trip to the area in September. I'm already socking away film and what I am taking will be the film I have been using and have preferred in the past. Namely: Ektachrome E100VS and, if my current tests continue to prove satisfactory, Elitechrome 100 Extra Color (EBX). I'll also take Provia 100F. Those are my choices for scenics any place, anytime. I'm also taking some Provia 400F for wildlife and birds. I have come to appreciate the results I have gotten from this film when shooting a moving subject. I scan my slides and make prints for display. If you prefer negative color film or you only want prints, I would choose Reala. But with negative film, you can't go too wrong with any of the Kodak or Fuji films of ISO 100, 200 or 400. With scenics, however, you may prefer transparencies because you can control the scene with filters and not have to worry about a lab screwing up your prints trying to compensate. By filters, I mean warming, polarizing, ND grads, etc. I wish I were going with you but I'll be there in September hoping for good light and a little fall color.

• 4 weeks later...
About 8 years ago I went to Yellowstone. I wasn't really into photography yet and was using a $40 camera. I also was using the cheapest Kodak or Fugi film at the time. The pictures still came out suprisingly saturated with color. I say that during the day you'd be fine with Reala film. I think if you stuck with Reala (as opposed to slide film) then you can more easily get wildlife. You might also want to have 400speed film for the mudpots. Then at night to catch the sunsets you could switch over to Velvia. If you are doing anyshooting of the Grand Tetons definately go for Velvia. I'm no expert but this is how I would do it if I went back.