Photoshop CS exits after Nikonscan 3 has finished

Hi everybody.

As I'm currently scanning lots of Kodachrome slides I have to use

Nikonscan 3 instead of Silverfast 6 Ai (calibrated) with my Coolscan

Now I've got the problem that when scanning has finished and I remove

the Nikonscan window, Photoshop CS in most cases simply exits

(crashes). No chance to save the picture I've just scanned :-(

I use Windows XP Home Edition on a Pentium 4, 3GHz, 1.5GB RAM

Any idea what's going wrong? All suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks in advance, and greetings from Germany,

Jürgen

Are you using Nikon Scan as a Photoshop Plug-in to scan the slide? How about using it as a standalone application, scan and save the image and use CS to edit it later?

I and another poster also have problem with CS exits suddenly under Windows XP Pro. This happens when I try to save the edited image into another directory (save as instead of save). Not everytime but often. My workaround is to use save everytime. If I need to move it to another directory or convert the format from tiff to jpeg then I use some other software to do it.

I still don't know the reason but I guess it is a bug in CS. I don't have this problem with Photoshop 7, which is also installed in the same PC.

Batch scanning with Photoshop and a TWAIN plugin is impractical. If Photoshop crashes, you lose all your work, and there is no way to save images as they are scanned unless you scan individual frames. Photoshop will crash if the scratch space is exhausted or corrupted. Photoshop reserves about 3x as much scratch space as the image size. I had similar problems with other operating systems and versions of PS. I haven't tried batch scanning with CS - the workflow using the plug-in is inately flawed, and there's a better way. PS is OK for onesies, though.

NikonScan (or some other stand-alone program) is the best choice for batch scanning. Each image is saved to a file before proceeding to the next scan. NikonScan has a flexible naming and directory menu.

• 1 year later...