packs rebuilt.<p>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0047l9"

>How do I rebuild the MN-2?</a> <p>

I'm happy to report that you can purchase the original Sanyo 270mAH

cells ($1.50 each) as well as upgraded 350mAH cells ($2 each) from

NiCd Lady, of El Camino California. In fact, they offered to rebuild

the pack for me for $30, which is basically the cost of the cells in

total (14 cells required). I've just received the pack back, and it

works great! It even has a nice sticker on it with the rebuilt date.

Because of the higher capacity of the new cells, the pack takes a 5

hour charge. The MH-2 charger gives a fixed 4 hour charge, so I have

to cycle through once, then charge for another hour, using a timer to

prevent overcharging.<p>For the record, the new cells read 20V on my

voltmeter. The older packs that I have read between 18.5 to 19V when

fully charged.<p>I have no commercial relationship to this company

besides being their customer. I thought this may be of interest to

others who will one day want their battery pack rebuilt. Get a quote

first from Grace if you decide to go with them:<p>

<a href="http://www.nicdlady.com/" >NiCd Lady Home Page</a>

I built three MN-2 packs with the higher capacity Sanyo NiCd cells as well. Carl the higher voltage right after charging is normal behavior for NiCd cells. The extra capacity cells have no difference in the operation of the MD-4 except to add longer life.

Robert I didn't know that the MH-2 charger simply charged and turned on the light after 4 hours. How did you determine you were finished at 5 hours? Did you just wait until the pack started to feel warmer?

Mike,<p>I used simple extrapolation to obtain the 5 hour time. If 4 hours is sufficient for 270mAH, then:<p>

350 x 4 hours / 270 = 5.2 hours. OK, I could have given it 12 more minutes (the 0.2 hours), but I didn't want to overcharge the cells the first time out.<p>This assumes the same charging efficiency as before:<p> 270mAH/(80mA x 4 H) = 0.84.<p>The figures in the denominator come from the charger specifications itself (turn your charger over to see: 20V, 80mA). Since the cells are identical except for capacity, I expect that 84% of the total charge put into the cells by the charger is stored, while the rest are dissipated in chemical changes and as heat. I'm not a battery expert - I went over these considerations with Grace via the email first.<p>The 20V is only a reflection of the freshness of the charge. My other cells were charged over a month ago, so they have run down slightly (self-discharge). The camera doesn't seem to mind at all.<p>As for timing, I use a simple cooking timer with a beeper to tell me when to unplug it. Otherwise, it will get an 8 hour charge, which is definitely too much (could lead to cell rupture). However, if you have the 350mAH cells in your pack and only give it a 4 hour (standard) charge, you're definitely short-changing yourself by 30%!

Great I'll have to give that a try. I'm pretty sure that the red light on the charger doesn't switch the power off. Is that your experience as well?

A general comment for F3/MD-4 users: if you've never tried your MD-4 with the MN-2, you won't believe the performance increase! With a fresh pack, 36 exposure films rewind in 5-6 seconds.

I get 4 frames per second out of eight Energizer NH-15AA(s)

and 5 frames or a bit more per second out of Energizer L91(s).

Thats with a 24 exposure test roll in the camera. Am I

missing something?<br>

<br>

It must be childs play to refurbish the MN-2 with tabbed

cells. I envision that the packs are held together with snaps and

Phillips head screws. Is this correct? Id like a few dead

packs if I could find them. Anyone know of a source?<br>

<br>

The one thing I know I do not put alkaline batteries in my

cameras anymore.<br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

Some worry about L91 Lithium(s) in older cameras. I got this

answer in an e-mail from columnist Steve Sint, <em>"I'm sure

some will disagree but I find lithiums a total plus....I use them

in everything in my bag that takes double AA's and have had no

problems (what so ever, zip....nada...:-))" --SS</em> and <em>"....you

can also get 9V lithiums at Radio Shack...I use them in my

Quantum radios with no problems." -SS</em><br>

<br>

A spare MS-3 costs $24.95 (USD) at B&H Photo.<br>

<br>

Regards,

David,<p>What you are missing is the ability to recharge the cell over and over for at least 100x, with each full charge capable of powering over 50 rolls of 36 exposure film. That is, if you use the charge fairly quickly, and don't let it sit around for months like I do. If I was a professional, I could see how having 3 or 4 such packs would allow me to keep shooting all day and night. Any spent packs can be recharged in 4 hours. So consider the economics - $25 for a depleted MN-2 shell + $30 to have it fully recelled + $100 or so for the charger. Compare that to what you will have to pay for all those Lithium cells to go through the same amount of film.<p>My reason for getting the MN-2 is that in the Northeast, the winters can get very cold. I've had the camera button cells die on me in the cold before. I've never had the camera fail in the freezing weather with the MN-2 pack in there.<p>The pack is rediculously simple to take apart. 4 Phillips (cross-head) screws need to be removed off the top aluminum plate. Then gently lift up the plate to reveal a plastic insulation sheet, and some foam rubber padding for wires which run the length of the unit. Be careful not to distort the aluminum plate, as the battery chamber tolerances of the MD-4 is actually very tight, and a distorted plate will not allow the pack to be put into the drive. Once inside, it is self evident how the batteries are hooked up.<p>One warning regarding the MN-2 use. You need to be meticulously clean with your film chamber. The MD-4 always runs at 5.5 fps speed (even on single shot) which means that the film travels very fast when advanced. If you're not clean, the film will get scratched quite severely.<p>I suggest you find a depleted MN-2 pack on ebay and give yourself a thrill.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

<p>Hi,<br>

I own an MN-2 which is loosing charge too early and I am thinking about rebuild the battery pach.<br>

I am not an electronics bricoleur.<br>

Searching the web, I found 2/3AA NiMH cells are now pretty much more performing than 270 or 350 mAh, it's pretty usual to find 1600 mAh units actually. There will be any problem replacing cells in my MN-2 with those, instead of with lower capacity units?<br>

Thanks for your advice!</p>