Slik Pro 700 DX and head question, need a tripod for under 200.

kyle_joyce

I'm looking to get a good tripod but i don't want to spend but 100-

200 for it. (I don't plan on hiking much so weight isn't a big issue)

The Slik Pro 700 looks like they way to go from reviews.

Do you have any comment or suggestions for me?

Should I get the Slik head or another brand, suggestions?

I'm not sure if i should get a ball head or pan and tilt.

I plan on using it for posed portraits, landscapes, and eventually

macro (will it work with the short center column addition?).

Thanks

Kyle

Kyle, I use the 700 DX legs, but usually prefer a Bogen 3030 head or my pistol grip. The Slik QR plate (round) is not stable for vertical position if the weight of your camera/lens combo is not centered on the head. I also found it nearly impossible to find in-stock spare/replacement QR plates when I was looking for spares. I now use all Bogen heads so the plates are interchangeable between them. But, the 700DX legs are great: nice and light, and flip locks on the leg segments. I haven't tried the short center column.

The Slik 700 is a good tripod for the money. It is solid, tall and well-made. The 3-way head is solid and the rapid-mount easy to use. The quick-mount is a round puck, which is easy to attach to the camera, and fits into most shoulder bags still attached. The leg angle has two positions, but the long center column keeps you from getting really low.

The downside is that it is a very heavy tripod, and the closed length is quite long: over 30". The quick-mount puck screws into the tripod socket of the camera, and does not hold well if the camera is rotated to the vertical position. The 3-way head has long handles. This makes the operation easy, but carrying hard. The column clamp has a collar and locking knob - not convenient or particularly effective. The leg clamps hold well, but there is no way to adjust them if they loosen with use.

The head can be replaced, and the Slik 700 would benefit from a ball head with an Arca-Swiss-compatible clamp.

If you can find a used Gitzo G-12xx in your price range (the G-1224 is of comparable size, stronger, and lighter), you'd be happier in the long run.

I also use the Slik 700DX. The head that comes with it is "OK" but not great. See above reasons. I use a Bogen 3265 pistol grip head and find it to be a great combo.

The legset of the 700DX is hard to beat for the price. Very well made and easy to use. I think the legset alone is worth the price. I actually have a second center post that I cut down in order to use at low levels. As some have mentioned above, it's a fairly big tripod and fairly heavy as well. Very stable and takes abuse well. I have banged mine around pretty good for about 3 years now and it still works flawlessly.

BTW, I have a Bogen 3001 legset for travel. I travelled once, ONCE, with the Slik.

Jim

"What they said!"

The tripod is quite sturdy and totaly bomb proof. Mine has survived a recent tumble down a rocky 40 ft embankment w/o more than a few scratches. (I set the pod up at the rim, turned around to get the camera, and bumped it off when turning back.) Trim the center post if you need to do 'low altitude' stuff.

The 3-axis head is solid and well built, but IMO rather awkward. The bearings are 'dry' and the platform is prone to 'flopping' forward, banging the lens and causing the operator to emit foul language. The more I use it, the more I dislike the whole tilt/pan theme. I'm looking to get a Manfrotto 322RC2 ball head with side mounted grip as soon as $ permits. It has a lower COG than my previous lust puppy, the 3265.

-Greg

Slik makes three smaller tripods in the DX series, all fairly similar except in overall height. Unless you are particularly tall you may not need the 700. The head is the same on all, essentially, though I think one or more have a built-in level. It's an acquired taste maybe but I like mine and have no problems with it. It resembles the Manfrotto Super 3D head in concept. I have the 300DX, the shortest of the bunch, but it's tall enough for me and I think it has better leg-locks than the 700. They are screw-in rather than quick-release.

The screw head that tightens the head to the center post broke on mine. The screw head has a very thin plastic shaft that wraps around the head of metal screw. I wrote to Slik asking for a price for a new screw assembly but they did not bother to reply. Also, the pins on the leg locking mechanisms tend to slide out and when they do, the leg suddenly no longer will support the camera. This may be an ok tripod, but I would be reluctant to recommend it.