acquiring a staple of excellent performing EOS EF lenses without

breaking the bank. Currently I have the "kit" lens(which is not all

that bad of a performer), and the EXCELLENT 50mm f1.8 II lens which I

bought here for a mere $60.00. Are there others like that---the

price I mean? Or will I really need to "break the bank" in order to

be satisfied. I know the addege "you get what you pay for". But

Nikon had a number of these critters---very reputable lenses at a

very low cost. Does Canon? Thanks.

A number of the non-'L' prime lenses have a very good reputation. None of them come as cheap as the 50mm f/1.8, but they still have a very good price/performance ratio. Among them are the 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.0, 85mm f/1.8 USM and the 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus. If they are too expensive new, some of them can be found used for very attractive prices.

What Alexander said, and I would add the 28-135IS (very good in the middle of the range), 17-40/4L and 70-200/4L. The last two don't quite have any Nikon counterpart.

I like my 80-200/4.5-5.6, it's obviously not as good as my 70-200/4L, but it's cheap, light and small, which makes it a veru good "backup" lens when I don't want to carry the big L glass.

Which Nikkors are you specifically thinking of?

50/1.8 - get the mkI if you can (metal mount, depth of field, supposedly better manual focus - but I haven't tried the current one, takes a clip on style shade - the one for the TS90 (ES-65III) works perfectly)

85/1.8 - I absolutely love mine

28/2.8 - I don't own it yet, but supposedly is very good for the price - some say as good as the much more expensive 28/1.8, so unless you need the little tiny bit of extra lens speed, the 28/2.8 is a more frugal choice.

35/2 - also one I don't yet own, but a very good deal for the price.

-=-

I don't know anything about bargain zooms, other than that the really cheap ones (kit zooms) really are meant for snap-shot consumers and not high quality.

Cheap primes are the way to go.

I currently own the 28mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8 and the 135mm/2.8SF

These lenses give me the effective zoomrange of a 28-135 at f2.8.

They cost me a total of $AU1500. Figure about $US700-1000. I figured this was the best quality I could get for the least cash.

If you perfer to zoom, I cant help you there.

based on what you have (18-55 and 50), and assuming that you are going to keep these two lenses, i would second a previous post and get the 85/1.8 or the 100/2, i own both, and love both equally. the zoom option would be the 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM, great bang for the buck, i had it for a while and it was my too-lazy-to-bring-a-bagful-of-primes lens, from my observation, it's better built than the 18-55.and also the 18-55 lacks the UltraSonic Motor that the 28-105 has. the USM gives you full=time manual focus and faster focusing.i would definitely consider that. also, check out the reviews here at http://www.photo.net/canon/, i find them very helpful.<p>

the following statement is a personal opinion, i would stay with canon lenses. third party lenses have had compatibilty issues with newer bodies, and for some reason i just trust canon a little more.

<a href=http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/ef_1200_56l_usm.html>This</a> is one of the better walk-around lenses, particularly when coupled with a 2X TC. It's a nice upgrade from the kit lens, but someone told me Leica glass is better, so I'm selling all of my Canon stuff to buy a manual body.

<p>

DI

Canon lenses fall into the following categories in my mind:

1) Cheap kit lenses (at $100) => Avoid at all costs.

2) Prosumer zooms (24-85/3.5-4.5 ($330), 28-105/3.5-4.5($225), 28-135/IS ($410ish) + 75-300 ($150ish) and 75-300/IS ($425ish)): All decent performers for decent price. The 75-300's are all weak beyond 200mm.

3) "L" Zooms. $600ish for F4, $1300 for F2.8. Not cheap. Top quality.

4) Cheap primes: All the lenses mentioned in the earlier posts. TOP QUALITY, LOW PRICE. OPTICALLY FAST (F2.8 or better). Ranging from $70 (50/1.8) to $400 (20/2.8), These are the bargains you are looking for. Note: Many are older lenses, without the latest features such as USM motors.

5) "L" primes. $1200+. On the wide end, they are FASTER (F1.8 or better) than the cheap primes, and they are built better. They are NOT optically better than the cheap primes. On the telephoto end: Ummm, the sky is the limit. These are the lenses you see at the Superbowl.

As most are recommending primes (which ARE great)i'll talk about cheap zooms in case you want them.

<P>The better zooms agreed by most are:28-105/3.5-4.5(any model-just avoid the new f4-5.6 type),24-85 and 28-135 image stabilizer.<p>Amounst the tele's i'd recommend the canon 100-300 or sigma 70-300 APO macro super II.I haven't used the sigma but from all reports it is abit better than the canon-you just have to deal with possible future incompatability issues.<BR>If you can afford,definitely consider the 70-200/4L,a real stunner