OT: A good travel book for Peru/Bolivia

m_.

Many of you have provided abundant information to me already but i

just also want to carry a travel book with me in the trip. I am

planning to explore the rural area but with people and local cultures

along Inca trail, not exclusively the wildness.

I have always been a user of Lonely Planet publications but their

Bolivia 2004 edition is still in print (so I heard). So anyone has

any good suggestion on this? Some one mentioned Let's Go publication

and others suggested Lonely Planet's "South America". Any other

suggestions including where I can find a cheap copy of your

suggestion? I will also touch a tiny bit of Chile on the way back.

Moderator: Feel free to delete this if doesn't fit here.

I really like Lonely Planet guide books too. I used their Bolivia guidebook in 2001 when it was brand new, and really enjoyed it. Though it is getting pretty old now, and had it's share of outddated info when it was new. I believe the Footprint guidebook for Bolivia is more recent-though I would still consider the Lonely Planet book. I personally don't like the large regional books like "South America." Too condensed, and too big. I would much rather have separate books for Peru and Boliva, and I'm sure you can have a look at someone elses Chile book, should you spend a little time there. Good luck

Jaroslav: Sorry, I am still learning Spanish at the moment so French is really pushing it. :-)

M M: do you want to sell your LP 2001 Bolivia copy? I can't seem to be able to find anything newer than 2002 at the moment.

Consider joining South American Explorers. They have offices in Lima and Cuzco with trip reports, hostel/hotel recomendations, storage spaces lots of maps, a library, anotated directories of buisness (if for example you need a camera repaired in lima...) and files full of old newspaper clipings arranged by subject. They also sell used and new guide books of various sorts, and keep track of variouse travel advisories. I was there six months ago with a lonely planet 'south america' guide book. It was occasionaly usefull in finding a hotel but word of mouth is generally better as anything in that book will be full most of the time.

I'm sure you want to limit the number of books you bring... but I

have to recommend the Footprint guide "Cusco & the Inca Trail".

I've also always gone with Lonely Planet in the past, but this

book was a much better guide (IMO) for the area.

Wentong,

I have a 2002 Let's Go Peru, Ecuador & Bolivia travel guide that I bought for my trip to South America. This guide includes the Galapogos Islands and Santiago, Chile. It's a budget travel guide identical to Lonely Planet. Focusing on 3 countries, it's not very thick so it doesn't weigh like a brick...ala Lonely Planet South America.

I would suggest you search out a 2004 copy or if you want, you can purchase mine for a reasonable price.

Hope this helps and have fun.

Take something that you want to read, a novel or something. If you're staying in tourist places, you'll meet lots of other "travellers" who can give you much better info on what's what than any guide book can. I've always found travel guides to be less useful - and used them less - than I thought I would. And it's fun having to figure things out for yourself.

My suggestion: Casanova's Memoirs.

>>Alexander M. , apr 20, 2004; 06:20 a.m.

"Andes" by Pablo Corral Vega

Anything by Mario Vargas Llosa

Good suggestion but I have read everything Mario wrote. I will try the "Andes" maybe. Thanks.

The Footprint book for Bolivia is better than the Lonely Planet book for Bolivia, but I would get both. Forget about getting useful advice from fellow travelers. Realistically, they know as little about the country as you do. Why not ask the locals; after all, they live there?

The problem with relying on the Lonely Planet guide book or your fellow travellers too much is that you'll run into the same travelers in La Paz, in Uyuni, in Sucre, in Cochabamba, at Lake Titicaca, etc.

BTW, it is going to be freezing cold on the Altiplano this time of year!

Good point Chris, about asking local people; the only problem with that is - especially for places to stay - that they may well have diferent criteria about what is a nice place than a visitor has. For instance, ask a local person in Uttar Pradesh, India for a good hotel and he'll probably send you to the most awful filthy place because it has A/C and carpets. Travellers do have a different perspective, and often want similar things to you.