Missing images 10D

I'm the manager of a busy Ski action/portrait photography buisness in

Vail, Co.

This winter my Canon 10D shooters (I have four of them) would on

occasion tell me that they swore they were missing images off their

CF Cards. I asked them where on the card they shot these missing

images and it sounded to me like it was pretty much random. It

happened so rarely that I chalked it up as my photographer error.

Yesterday I had to shoot a group and sure enough it happened to me. I

did nothing out of the ordindary. When my CF card told me it was full

it said I had 72 images. WHen I tried importing into my computer I

only had 59!

Has this happened to anyone out there? Any and all responces will be

appreciated.

Kurt

Digital media of any sort is subject to corruption at write time due to physical errors in the media or environmental factors. My guess would be that the CF card has a couple of bad areas on it. I'd try a different card. There are also a couple of diagnostic utilities out there for CF cards. Might try one of those. Or you might send the card to the manufacturer.

good luck

Kurt, here's a thought, if you haven't figured out the issue yet. In my Nikon software I have an upload/transfer option that allows me to select for import only "Protected", un-Protected, or ALL images. Perhaps you have marked some of the images while in-camera, but the software is not uploading ALL?

Also, how do you know the camera/card had 72 images before uploading? Does the 10D re-number images if you've deleted some along the way (i.e., will the number of the last image taken always be the count of images on camera)?

Hi Kurt, I'm pretty sure this isn't the culprit in your case but thought I'd share anyway. Sometimes, I'll be shooting and fill up a card. I'll take it out of the camera and put it in my card reader and copy it off. While that's cooking along, I keep shooting with a second card. When I fill up the second one, it's off to the card reader again. Well, since I already have a folder by the name of "DCIM" from the first card on my laptop, there have been times when I'll rename the "DCIM" folder on the second card to something like "DCIM2". If I put that card with the renamed folder back in the camera, the camera doesn't see anything there at all. The images are still there, of course. I hope you solve the mystery!

Hmn. When you import, do you delete the originals? If not, use the camera and preview the images there. You might have something wrong with your card reader. I have a card-reader from a manufacturer that provided drivers for windows 2000. But they do not any longer. There are problems with windwos 2000. But since I have the drivers they originally provided, I still use it with windows 2000. Occasionally, the drivers will claim that there are no images on my card, and ask me if I want to format the card. I say no. I eject the card, reboot my PC, and try again. Then all of my images are there on the card.

You're problem sounds slightly different. However, I disagree with the user who claims that digital media is prone to loosing data. If you were loosing data on just 1 out of 4 or 8 cards, I'd chaulk it up to a bad card. What kind of card are you using?