Canon 10D Battery Replacement

Has anyone tried generic batteries for the canon 10D? I'm just looking

at replacement batteries on Ebay and looking for a good deal on new

batteries. Is there there any difference? I know some cameras can only

display battery life from its own cameras like sony. Are there any

extended life batteries that I should be looking at? Any battery info

would be helpful. Thanks in advance

I've been using some cheap off brand BP-511 replacements. They claim to have a higher mAHr rating, but I suspect they were being optomistic. Still, they are a lot less money and have worked well.

The down side risk is that some similar design third party batteries for cell phones have actually exploded, and taken the phone with out them. A minor problem with a $100 phone, but bigger trouble in a $1500 camera. From what I've read, the issue is if the battery develops a short, and doesn't have an internal fuse to stop the discharge.

I don't know if mine are properly protected, but they sure were cheap. So far I have not heard of one any damage to a Canon camera because of a faulty battery. But there are a few complaints that the cheap batteries just suddenly fail. Perhaps that's even an indication of having a fuse, although probably a faulty one.

I don't notice any difference whether I'm using a Canon battery or one of the two "non-

Canon" ones I have.

My most recent battery purchase was a Delkin BP-511 from Buy.com. I think I got it for

$16.95---I wasn't in need of a third battery (yet) but I bought it at the same time as a

512mb compact flash card they had for $89 with a $25 rebate and I wanted to get my

order over $100 so I could use a coupon from dealcoupon.com. $17 seemed like a very

reasonable price for a brand name battery from a reputable supplier. When I've looked

on eBay, the generics seem to be going for around $11 plus $5-6 in shipping and

handling...I'm not sure if I would want to put something totally off-brand in my $1500

camera just to save a couple of bucks. If this Delkin leaks or explodes, at least there's a

company I can complain to.

Anyway, that's my 2¢.