studio is your budget, and that's subject to debate.... My studio is

at my home, yet I've been a professional shooter since '85. So

the real question is: what do you want to shoot? And do you have

a style of working that you prefer? Once you've decided that (not

that it's an easy question, that's for sure!) the rest of it will kinda

answer itself. If you want to do group portraits, you'll need to set

up a larger area, with broader fill light, for example. Let everyone

know what you want to do with this studio, then we can say

something more helpful. Be specific, then we can be, too.

I didn't mean to imply that a home studio was not for professionals. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would think that there is a difference between the professional studio and the basic (and I do mean basic) amateur studio I hope to have. I have yet to find a book that is for the amateur wishing to set up an amateurs studio. I would like to do indivdual and small group portraits. I would also be looking for portability to do pictures for youth sports teams. I hope this helps you to help me.Thanks!

First off, you have a good name for a studio... Leland Images.

The book by Scott Smith is really excellent. He is at the annual big Texas School this week in College Station, Tx. and will be back in about a week. I have taken a one day seminar/class from him in Ft. Worth and it was REALLY beneficial. His family is dealing with his wife having some type of cancer and undergoing extensive treatments these past half dozen months and therefore his seminars have been limited lately.

The book can be ordered through his web site and it really is great.

His web site is also a wealth of information with hundreds of pages and is really beneficial.

He is a spokes person for Novatron studio strobes and has used these for almost 20 years. Read his book and web site BEFORE you start throwing money every direction (unless its my direction).

For portability (in the field) i have a newly aquired Quantum x2 flash system which is fairly expensive but also loaded with nice features. You can REALLY get started with just a simple light source and a couple of reflectors such as some white gatorfoam sheet from an art supply store or you can also go out and spend until there's nothing left. Invest in a copy of Scotts book available from his web site. Scott teaches the best equipment available is the equipment between your ears.

Best wishes!

miles

dallas, texas

mfa1@ix.netcom.com

I know nothing about studio lighting. But I do have Scott's book. Basically, you can get lighting tips from his book and equipment advise from his website.

For monolights, I'm looking at the following:

- Hensel Intra 500 complete kits (dual voltage): $1000

- B&H Novatron kit (with softbox promotion?)

- Photogenic 1250 one light package ($500)

- Elinchrom, Visatec are somewhat expensive.

Maybe I'll go with Hensel myself. Just my decision to start with quality lighting so that I'll not make any excuse for not taking pro-quality pictures.