1.stroboframe and hotshoe cord

2.another flash to use as slave

3.another tripod

4.omnibounce or flash soft box

5.chroma key back gound

6.reflectors

7.posing stool or bench

I appreciate any specific suggestions on equipment brand or

suggestions on other equipment I might need to fill this out.

I have learned so much from this forum.Thanks in advance.

Hi, what Yakim said. with your thinking at present you seem to be guessing,eg chromakey backdrops need good even lighting to work properly, 700 won`t get far unless you get what you really need to start, 2 suggestions, find a good book and start with the very basuc setups, (1 main light, 1 back light, umbrella & stands). Go look at the portable photo setups in your local shopping centres and watch what they do & use. Can`t get much more portable with the space they get.

HTH goodluck

For now, I'd stick with the 50mm lens, it will be a good start.

For lighting, you could pick up a TTL wireless slave flash like the 420ex (or another 500 DG Super), put it on a light stand with an adapter an an umbrella, and probably come out for about $350 for new parts.

Of course, you could go with cheap manual flashes and PC cords as well, which would shave up to $200 off of the cost of lighting.

Either way, that leaves about $350 for your backdrop and some sort of softbox for the on-camera flash, which should be plenty if you're resourceful.

steve

thanks for your help on this tried refining down a little

2 vivitar 283's/ paper back drop homemade pvc stand/ drum stool/2 light stands/ light meter/ hotshoe cord so I can position flash any where/ foam poster board for reflectors and to build soft boxes

or I might just get an alien bee set

17-40 would be awesome also but I am not going the lens route I need to start doing this with what I have make some money yeah go for the glass

Before you get too excited about the 17-40, take some shots with your existing lenses and see the 17-40 really is the focal length that you need. "Traditional" portrait lenses are from 85mm to 135mm, which on your crop factor run from 53mm to 85mm. A shorter lens can help with group photos, but all in all, there's a reason that portrait photographers use longer lenses. Yes, you have to back up, but you get a more flattering portrait in return.

I have shorter lenses than my 50mm, but I only use them if there's just no other way to get the portrait. Every once in a while I'll rent an 85mm f/1.2 for really important portraits, and the pictures are knock-your-socks-off good.

steve

steve